Chapter-4

Sean Peterson

"It's about my great-grandson, Ryan."

"Your brother's son. Your nephew."

I got so busy in my own life that I forgot I had someone to take care of. I cursed myself for forgetting about the only remembrance of my only brother, Shane Peterson, who died in a car accident five years ago when his son was only six months old. He was two years younger than me and honestly, we weren't that close as I had never actually lived in this house, with him. Though we had hardly played with each other, hardly spent time together, we were siblings, he was a part of me. Including Grandma, who was there to listen to my worries and fears. Though he was younger, he was mature enough to give me motivation. And when he passed away I lost that part, and the pain forced me to detach myself from the members of this family who pulled us apart.

"Wh...what about him?" I couldn't help but stutter. I couldn't meet her eyes because of the guilt that flowed through my veins.

"He needs you."

"I don't understand."

"Sean. I'm getting weaker day by day I can't anymore take care of him. He's lonely. Except for me, there is no one to take care of him. Your parents don't have time for him. I don't want him to grow as a lonely, depressed child. My concern towards him has heightened as now shares and properties of his father have been transferred to his name and there are people after him. Your uncle and your cousin have their eyes on his shares."

My hands curled into a fist. These greedy people can't even spare a kid!

I gritted my teeth as my anger rose. I was angry at the people of this house, my family. I was angry at myself for neglecting my nephew. He was all alone. Even Ryan's mother had left him. That bitch! She married my brother for money and ran away from her responsibilities, taking the money and property Shane had named after her.

"Nobody. Nobody will ever harm Ryan. I'll make sure of it. Shane left his property for his son and no one else will have a claim on it. I won't let it happen."

Giving a soft smile she nodded her head. "I trust you with this Sean but there's one more thing."

"What is it?" I asked as I held her hand.

"Sean I...I tried to oppose the decision but I guess I don't have a say in the family matters anymore. I.." She took a deep breath, blinking back her tears. I felt like whatever she wanted to tell me was not going to be good. 

"Your parents can't give their time to their grandson so they want to send him to boarding school."

"No way in hell!" I seethed as I stood up from the couch in rage. "I'm not going to let that happen. They pushed me away from themselves. They pushed me into loneliness. I know how it feels like to be alone. I can't let Ryan feel this way. I can't let him suffer what I have suffered."

"That's why I called you, Sean. It's only you who has the power and will to change their decision. Your nephew needs you, dear. He has the right to live a normal life which he isn't getting here."

I sat on the couch and held her hand. "I'm sorry grandma. Sorry for being late, sorry for being negligent but I'm here now. I'll take care of everything, alright?"

I wiped the tears that ran out of her eyes. "Where is he? Can I meet him?" I asked.

"He must be in my room. He doesn't like to stay in his room as he loves to spend time with me." She chuckled.

As always, she was taking care of him like the way she took care of me.

"Let's go."

We went to her room and found Ryan busy coloring his book. His back was towards us. I didn't know why but my heart was drumming at an alarming rate maybe because I was going to meet him after ages? Grandma called his name to which he looked up and my heart almost stopped. He looked like a replica of my brother.