Epilogue

Two years later...

Sean Peterson

"Ryan! Ryan! Go, Ryan! Yeah!"

As Ryan progressed to the finish line, Lauren's voice continued to grow louder, and my two-year-old daughter kept bouncing on my lap vigorously, clapping for her brother, which made it hard for me to keep her in place.

"God, Lauren! Lower your voice, will you?" I grabbed her hand tried to make her sit back, but when has she ever listened? She swatted my hand without even glancing at me. I sat uncomfortably since other parents' gazes were on us rather than on their children.

We were at Ryan's school attending his annual sports meet in which he had participated in a race. Initially, he did not want to participate since he had always put mind games over physical activities, but our encouragement led him here. He turned eight a week ago and I was pleased he had been becoming more understanding day by day; month by month; year by year.

He never gave us a single hard day; I had never heard a single complaint from his school and also, he consistently received top grades in school, but physical activities are important as much so we had to push him a little to do that.

My reverie broke when Tiny, who wasn't Tiny any more, jumped off my lap and almost ran towards the track if I hadn't grabbed her. This tiny creature!

"Hey, Tiny, stop! You can't go there." I stood up with her in my arms to gain my wife's attention but as if we weren't there, she kept on howling for Ryan. No discouragement, I was happy for Ryan, but Lauren was completely ignoring us.

Sighing, I darted my eyes on the track only to see Ryan crossing the finish line. A huge smile broke on my lips, but I flinched and even Tiana covered her ears when Lauren screamed in joy.

"Yay! Ryan won! Yes! Yes!" She bounced while clapping her hands and seeing her mother Tiny did the same. Like mother, like daughter! These two females have turned my life into a bloody mess.

"Lauren, calm down," I muttered in her ear which made her flip her head in my way.

"Calm down?" She said what it seemed to be in disbelief. Uh, did I say something wrong?

"Sean, our son has won the third position in the race, it's a huge achievement, and you want me to calm down? Aren't you happy with his win?" She frowned.

"What?!" I shrieked lowly. "Why wouldn't I be happy? I am just saying that you are gaining unwanted attention. Look around."

She roamed her eyes around at the curious people at the stands, who probably, wanted to know what was wrong with her. Only if they knew that it was the real her, nothing was wrong with her. If they knew they would surely award me for being her husband.

After studying everybody's faces, she looked back at me and shrugged. "As if I care." She flashed a tight-lipped smile and darted her gaze back on the track.

Shaking my head at her I kissed Tiana's face. "See, I told you your mama is crazy." Tiana giggled and gave me a sloppy kiss.

Ryan was being given the medal now, I met his gaze and waved at him with a broad smile to let him know I was proud of him. Lauren was still shouting for him when a woman approached us and patted Lauren's shoulder to gain her attention.

The woman crossed her hands. "You are shouting as if it's your son who has won the race, it's Tory, my son." She then pointed where the medals were being distributed. "See, he's standing on the pedestal indicated as first." She smirked. "Your son has won the third position."

How dare she! I swear I would have given her a piece of mind myself, but I knew Lauren was enough for her.

Lauren flashed a sweet smile. I coughed because I knew the evil behind the smile and wanted to warn her not to bring her inner hulk out.