Episode 1: Part 1 - The Letter

EPISODE ONE

The letter had arrived two days ago and Sidney was still trying to comprehend its contents. The news contained within had both grieved him and vexed him in equal measure, so much so that he had struggled to compose a reply, for what response could he make to such a letter? It was not like Sidney had a choice in the matter for Mr Heywood had made the choice for him. Why hadn't he discussed it with him first? If he had, Sidney would have been sure to persuade him to seek an alternative option – his cousin, for example, surely his cousin would have been a much more appropriate choice? But no, it was Sidney that had been given this responsibility and it was not something he relished in the slightest. Sidney's feelings on the matter, however, were neither here nor there for now he had a task to do, and he must get on with it.

The letter had come from a solicitor to inform him of the sad news that one Sidney's investors, Mr Heywood had died suddenly from a short illness at his home in Willingden. Mr Heywood was an investor in Sidney's importing business and Sidney greatly esteemed him. Mr Heywood had been survived by one child, a daughter of 19 years old and this was the part of the contents of the letter that was so troubling... because Mr Heywood had seen fit to appoint Sidney as her guardian. Such a role was necessary as Mr Heywood's small estate had been entailed to his cousin, Mr Collins, and therefore his daughter had no legal right to live there. However, Miss Heywood was not left without anything to her name, for Mr Heywood's shares is Sidney's business, along with a number of other investments, had been left to her so that she now had a fortune of over £30,000, although access to such a fortune was not permissible until she married or came of age at 21.

Sidney had met Mr Heywood's daughter, Charlotte, once before not less than a year ago when he had paid a visit to Mr Heywood's estate in Willingden. She had come out of the house dressed in an apron and with flour on her face having been baking some bread, and as such Sidney had mistaken her for a maid. His mistake had earned him a scowl and their conversation for the rest of the afternoon had been rather tense. Even though their acquaintance was brief, Sidney's first impressions were that Miss Heywood was very different from other young ladies he had met, mainly because he had spent the last three years in the clutches of the beau monde in London with its ladies in their fine silks and lace. However, despite his fortune, Mr Heywood had favoured a simple life and didn't indulge his daughter and it appeared that she regularly got involved in the household chores and dressed simply. She could even hunt with a rifle.

Sidney's other impression of Charlotte Heywood was that she was very free with her opinions. In their conversation over dinner, she had challenged him and admonished him on several topics of conversation and he couldn't deny that although this irritated him, it also intrigued him. However, such behaviour would never do in London society. That's not to say that Miss Heywood did not have her virtues. Whilst she was not dressed in the finest fashions and kept her hair down and untamed (that would change once he had engaged a maid for her) she had a pretty face and a fine figure. That combined with her £30,000 inheritance would make her a desirable match for any well bred gentleman.

However, being bestowed with such a fortune also meant Miss Heywood could become the target of fortune hunters. Perhaps this was the reason why Mr Heywood considered that Sidney would be a good candidate to see to Miss Heywood's welfare rather than his cousin, and Sidney expected his favourable connections with the ton were also considered valuable as this could further the prospect of a good match for her. This did not make Sidney feel any better about the situation, however. It was a damned nuisance to be burdened with such a responsibility, particularly as he was only 27 years old and liked his independence. He was not looking forward to the task of being responsible for making a lady out of girl who was not only at an impressionable, and potentially difficult age, but also had no experience of high society, and it was for that reason that he decided it best to procure the services of the proprietress, Mrs Griffiths to act as Miss Heywood's caretaker and chaperone.

Two weeks after receiving the letter, on a windy day in January, Sidney found himself travelling in a coach to Willingden with Mrs Griffiths. It was only an hour's ride from London to Willingden, but it felt much longer. The whole situation was so preposterous, but what could he do? He had a legal obligation to fulfil. The coach drove down a narrow track towards a generous house. Outside stood a small welcome party fronted by a gentlemen who Sidney assumed must be Mr Collins and on his arm, his wife. Next to his wife stood Miss Heywood, dressed in her full mourning attire, her face expressionless as she looked purposely away from and avoided his gaze.

"Mr Collins." Mr Parker said as he walked over to the gentleman and shook his hand.

"Mr Parker. I trust the journey was trouble free?" The gentleman responded.

"Yes, thank you."

"Mrs Collins." Sidney said bowing and then he stood in front of Miss Heywood. "Miss Heywood." He said. She was still refusing to meet his gaze, but she curtseyed properly in acknowledgment of his greeting.

Sidney introduced Mrs Griffiths and then they all went inside for refreshments. It was a tedious hour as Mr Collins was rather a dull character who seemed to talk much, but actually say nothing. Miss Heywood did not say a word at all, but simply looked down at her tea, stirring it absentmindedly. Eventually the time came to leave and the coachman loaded Miss Heywood's belongings to the top of the coach, which Sidney was surprised to see only consisted of two trunks.

"Is this all there is?" Sidney said, his eyes on Miss Heywood. For the first time she lifted her eyes to meet his and she nodded sadly. He still was yet to hear her voice.

They said their goodbyes to the Collins' and the coachman helped Miss Heywood and Mrs Griffiths into the carriage before Sidney also went in. He sat next to Mrs Griffiths and opposite Charlotte. She was now looking out the window and he could see that she had tears in her eyes and for the first time, he felt actual pity for her. He looked away from her, thinking he ought to give her some privacy and shook his head at Mrs Griffiths as she opened her mouth to say something.

And so it was that they arrived in London at Mrs Griffith's house an hour later having not spoken a word for the entire journey. They alighted from the coach and Mrs Griffiths showed Miss Heywood up to her room. Sidney accompanied them while Mrs Griffiths chatted about the features of the room and where and when supper would be served in the evening. Miss Heywood still did not speak. In fact, she didn't seem to be listening at all, but stood staring silently out of the window into the street below.

"I will call on you tomorrow morning, Miss Heywood, when you have settled in here so we can discuss matters more fully." Sidney said, hoping for a response, but it did not materialise. He sighed in frustration and shared a look with Mrs Griffiths. They both backed out of the room and Sidney pulled the door behind him and as he did he could have sworn that he heard the sound of a sharp sob as the door clicked shut.