Episode 7 Part 3 - What do you want, Mr Parker?

It took some time for Charlotte to recover from her boat ride with Sidney. Once again she found herself completely befuddled about what Sidney wanted, for when it was just the two of them alone on the river, he made her feel like she was the only woman on earth that he wanted to give his attention to. Yet as soon as Eliza had shouted at him, he had acted like a schoolboy caught doing something wrong. Perhaps it was a little improper to be out on the river alone together, but was he embarrassed to be seen with her? She was his ward after all. Surely no-one would question it? Or perhaps Sidney just didn't want Eliza to see them like that. Whatever reason it was, it was confusing and she had no idea what to make of it.

Once they had tied up the boat, Charlotte decided to go back to the tents to find Lady Susan who then took it upon herself to introduce Charlotte to some of her acquaintances as they strolled arm in arm along the river bank. Charlotte was overwhelmed by the number of people who appeared to be here by Lady Susan's invitation, or at least had followed her here.

"I hardly know how to thank you, Susan. You've made the Regatta a success." Charlotte remarked.

"Oh tosh! It is you and all your hard work. All I did was make an appearance."

"Still, it is because you made such an appearance that all these people are here and we're very grateful. Would you like me to fetch you a drink?"

"Yes please." Lady Susan responded.

Charlotte went to go and retrieve some drinks, however, what she didn't bank on was meeting Sir Edward in the refreshments tent. He swaggered towards her. "Well, if it isn't Miss Heywood, looking as lovely as ever." He replied, looking her up and down and getting uncomfortably close to her.

Charlotte tensed up and took a step back from him. Edward was obviously intoxicated and she really did not like the way he was leering at her. "Sir Edward. How is your Aunt?" She asked.

"Still alive. She has risen Lazarus like from her death bed." He commented, although Charlotte could see none of the expected relief in his eyes.

"That is wonderful news! Please do pass on my regards to her when you next see her." She said. Edward snorted, but did not say anything further. "Well, I must go back to Lady Worcester." She added, and tried to walk away, but Sir Edward blocked her path.

"Not so fast, Miss Heywood. I know you've been avoiding me. I think I at least deserve a conversation, or an opportunity if you will, to convince you of the value of a courtship with me, without having to go through your guardian." He said, rather loudly.

Charlotte blushed and looked around, hoping no-one was listening. "Sir Edward, Mr Parker passed on all I had to say on the subject. I am sorry, but I am not interested in a courtship with you." She said.

Edward smiled. "You cannot dismiss me so easily, Miss Heywood. I am not going anywhere until you hear me out."

Charlotte scowled at him. "This is not the place, Sir Edward."

"I disagree. I know that you will go running off to your guardian if I let you go. You must hear what I have to say."

"I do not want to hear what you have to say. A courtship with you is quite impossible, Sir Edward. Now please excuse me." She said, attempting to step pass him, but he blocked her path again.

"May I at least ask why you consider a courtship with me so impossible?"

Charlotte's chest was heaving. "I know what you are and what you have done. I could never be with anyone who... who forces himself on a woman."

Edward looked confused for a moment and then it dawned on him. "You have been speaking with Clara. I wouldn't put too much weight on what she tells you, especially now she has been thrown out by my Aunt."