•8•

• 

I'm sitting up on the bed with my back against the headboard when I hear the door open and see Quinn entering. Her hand leaves that of another, catching sight of Coen before I release a sigh.

"Just go with him," I shake my head when Quinn jumps at my voice.

"I-"

"Spend the night with him, I know you want to," I release a light chuckle as her cheeks turn red.

Quinn nods and replies, "I didn't want to leave you alone..."

"I'm fine," I speak softly to her, watching as Coen lingers in the hallway past the door. I hold a pillow right to my abdomen, as the dull pain in my muscles had begun to ebb closer.

Quinn notices though, I can't hide from her as she moves closer to the bed. She looks me over once and says, "You should get Alpha Keir to-"

"I don't want his 'help'," I reply with disdain, knowing what the repercussions of his 'sincerity' mean. Her concern is holding her back, so I urge her, "I'll be fine, I've dealt with it before..."

"I know..." her voice is soft as it trails off, "...I just hate seeing you in unnecessary pain."

When I nod at the door, Quinn walks over and grabs her night clothes before heading back to the door. She glances at me once more before closing the door behind her, moving out into the hallway.

Taking one of the few books they keep in the side table, I read through an old folklore tale. It's amazing how vivid they depict the evil of this world, a counterpart to our beloved Moon Goddess. Those who wrote this must not know of the wonders our goddess provides for us, even through tragic ends, we learn lessons well taught.

Ikuisuus

The name reads in a separate language beneath the wall of text.

My skin continues to become feverish, deciding to cast my pillow aside and head toward the bathroom. Turning on the hot water, I decide to run a bath to ease the pain my muscles begin to feel at a deeper level.

My body continues to ache, but it turns into a dullness when I sink beneath the surface of the water. The stream rises, breathing in and out evenly as I lift my hands above the water. My fingers break through, lifting them while I watch the water droplets ping off the otherwise still surface.

Just another day at most...

...please Moon Goddess...please ease this.

I don't know if I've inflicted her wrath at this point because my muscles begin to contort minutes later. I draw my legs up closer to my abdomen, holding them tightly with my arms. It's nothing I haven't dealt with in the past. I've done it before by myself and I can do it again...I don't need...

"Luna..." his voice sounds from the open bathroom door, my eyes snapping onto his form near the doorframe. His eyes are cast into the bedroom, but his hand grips the frame as he asks, "Are you-"

"No!" I snap, biting into my lower lip as a wave wreaks havoc on my body, fighting down the pain as I say, "I-I don't ne-ed you."

Alpha Keir takes a few moments to reflect on his thoughts before he decides to walk into the bathroom. I yelp and reach out, grabbing the curtain before I separate the two of us with the fabric. It creates a darker tone on the bath I'm in, my hands clutching at my abdomen while my nails are close to piercing my flesh.

Alpha Keir kneels next to the bath, his shadowy figure seen on the opposite side of the curtain. He's calm as he asks, "What is your favorite color?"