•2•

"Silos is going to assume the Alpha position of our pack..." Quinn's voice trails off as she sits with her back against the outside of the holding cell, mine pushing against the bars to match her own. She speaks quietly, leaning her head back and stating, "I overheard him in your father's office. He was talking to a few warriors, ones that are loyal to him, and how to get others on board in making the pack believe you are not of sound mind or fit to lead."

I release a sigh and reply, "I don't want to lead."

Quinn tilts her head to the side and asks, "You'd rather see Silos lead?"

"What difference does it make?" I lean forward, gathering myself onto my knees before rising. Glancing down at Quinn, her chin lifts, and her eyes capture mine, "We killed innocent lives, Quinn."

Quinn nods, understanding where I am coming from. She rises to her feet, grasping the cell bars before stating, "Though, in the eyes of the pack, we killed rogues. No one believes anything we say, because Silos had those who favor him get rid of the evidence." She pauses a moment, averting her eyes while whispering, "If we hadn't said anything, we'd have been regarded as heroes for stopping a hybrid threat."

"You and I both know otherwise," I scoff at her, taking a few steps away, "I'm not going to lie...what is right, versus what is wrong...it doesn't matter to those who don't understand the whole situation," I can hear the door to the basement opening, so I hurriedly whisper, "no matter what others will say, we are the ones who have to live with the actions we took."

"I know," Quinn's features shift, sadness overwhelming her.

Footsteps are nearing down the hall, breathing out slowly as I now know we are no longer safe speaking aloud.

If what you say is true though, you need to get a message to Alpha Victor or Luna Lucinda.

Quinn's eyes widen because what I ask of her is a lot. She's hesitant though, Silos' voice resonating off the walls as he orders, "Get back to your post, tracker."

Quinn lowers her head and replies, "Yes."

A second later, a scream is torn from her lungs. Silos snatches the front of her jacket, lifting her a few feet off the ground before he slams her back against the metal bars. Quinn gasps, Silos snarling, "That's Alpha, to you."

"Let her fucking go!" I slam my entire weight against the bars, and it jars Silos' hold for a moment, his grip faltering before he drops Quinn to the ground. She's terrified of what he could do to her, watching as she scrambles to her feet and takes off down the hall.

At least she's safe...

...for now.

"Didn't your father tell you that your mouth isn't going to get you anywhere?" Silos glares at me, watching the way I hold my ground near the bars.

"Why are you doing this?" I release a sigh of irritation.

Silos' presence rises as he informs me, "You lack the proper judgment to make calls in keeping this pack safe," he pauses a moment before explaining, "therefore, I'll be leading this pack."

"If that's how you want to play this, then fine, my purpose here is blurred between lines," I'm opting to be offered the option of becoming a rogue, leaving behind all the chaos which has unfolded since my father's passing.

Silos' irises shift, golden ones replacing a moment later as a sneer crosses his lips. He tells me, "Oh, your purpose is yet to be fulfilled."

"What are you talking about?" I rub my forehead.