•5•

Quinn?

The back of my head rests against the far wall of the holding cell, not sure if it's been a couple hours that have passed by, but it feels like a while. After the anger had subsided, my thoughts became clear. Alpha Keir was right...not an hour prior to Silos sending Quinn and me out to eliminate the rogues; I hadn't given a damn about what I'd been left behind by my father.

Even Silos had pointed out my flaws...

There's a slight sound that comes from the door leading to the holding cells, the man who's been left to guard should I somehow manage to escape...because Alpha Keir believes I'm capable of that...the man whispers something to another.

Not two seconds later, I hear footsteps and the man calling a little louder, "Fern! Don't!"

"Let it be, Knox," she hushes him back, walking further until I see her pass into my frame of view. She stands a few feet away, her eyes searching over me. It's the woman who was informal with Alpha Keir...

...though I can see by her mark that she's claimed.

"Hello," Fern edges closer to the bars, though I remain wary of her approach. With my response silent, I watch the way she moves closer, withdrawing something from under her jacket. She outstretches her arm, her hand just a few inches from the bars as she says, "I brought you cheese bread."

"Fern!" The man called Knox hisses at her, walking close to her side.

She rolls her eyes and retorts, "Bugger off...she's-"

"Alpha Keir's prisoner," Knox finishes for her.

"No...she's a Luna-" Fern is cut off a second later by Knox.

"No-"

"Shu-"

They both turn to growl at one another, their differences clear. Fern releases a deep exhale and calmly tells him, "If you want to go snitch to Keir, do it."

My voice is soft as I ask, "Can you please tell me if Quinn is okay?"

Fern's eyes are soft as she tells me, "I haven't seen her since..." her voice holds an edge to it, but Knox has no issues filling in.

"Until we came to get you," he crosses his arms and decides to walk back to the door, leaving Fern behind with me.

Fern releases a small sigh as I rise to my feet. I'm grateful to her, reaching out and taking the bread from her. A smile appears on her lips, telling me, "I'm sorry. Keir's father dealt a lot with the Imperial Stars Pack and their tie to your pack...but no one from our pack has ever actually met anyone from yours..." her voice trails off as I take a small piece of the bread, stopping for a second. She finishes, "Until now...that is," she furrows her brows and asks, "Is something wrong?"

"You didn't poison this, did you?" I arch a brow, remembering all too well the stories that have been told about the renowned and deadly Nightshade Prowlers Pack.

Fern's face turns red from embarrassment for a second as she says, "Of course not," she waves her hands in front of her face, but then a hint of playfulness fills her tone, "besides, you wouldn't know until it's too late anyway and would you trust my word alone?"

"In that case," I outstretch my arm, "you eat it first."

Fern giggles before taking the piece of bread I'd offered her, immediately popping it into her mouth before she states, "See?" It eases me when she lowers herself to the floor, sitting cross-legged in front of me as she says, "Is what you say true...I mean, about what's happening on your territory?"