•4•

I don't know how long I'm asleep for, but when I feel the consciousness of my body and awareness, my eyelids slowly blink open. I'm staring up at a white ceiling, hearing different sounds that come from machines around the room I'm in. It's a soft bed, testing my muscles as my fingers curl and I grasp thin fabric. It's a sheet, slowly bringing my chin downward to see I'm in a medical room by the appearance of the equipment.

Glancing around the room, I look to my left and my heart beats fast. I'm hooked up to a monitor; because it reflects the sudden change, causing the older woman who stands on the opposite side of the bed Quinn lies on to lift her gaze. She looks at me, holding Quinn's wrist as she checks her pulse. There are needles set in her forearms, connected to multiple drips and cords to machines.

"Quinn?" I ask, but it comes out quieter than I would have liked.

The woman releases Quinn's wrist and tells me, "Your friend's in pretty bad shape. She's still stabilizing."

While I try to ease myself up, the woman walks around Quinn's bed, reaching out as she helps provide support with my actions. After glancing around once more, I ask her, "Where are we?"

The woman smiles and replies, "You're in Nightshade Prowlers Pack territory," she pauses a moment as her words register with me, "I'm Narkissa—hey!" She exclaims as I try and shift off the bed.

"I need to get to-"

"Alpha Keir?" Narkissa asks as she tries to keep me on the medical bed. I exhale sharply, her eyes meeting with mine as she states, "He has mixed feelings about the way you tried to kill him," she muses at the way my features shift, becoming pale a second later, "though considering the way the trackers and he had found the two of you...I'm guessing there's more than meets the eye?"

I tried...

...to kill Alpha Keir?

Quinn's heart monitor skyrockets, Narkissa' sudden shift in demeanor trails off me and onto my friend. She's quick to her side, administering a liquid into the drip from a needle.

If I tried to kill him...

"You're probably wondering why Alpha Keir didn't kill you in your attempt to kill him," Narkissa continues to speak to me, though I shift my legs around, so they are hanging over the side of the medical bed. Quinn's features were once contorted, but a few moments after Narkissa had administered the liquid, she relaxes and the monitor sets back to an even pace.

"Quinn..." my voice trails off, not understanding what's wrong with her.

Narkissa releases a small sigh and states, "Your friend is lucky to have been found on our territory..." as her voice trails off, she turns around to look at me and says, "...the bullet that was extracted had been coated with wolfsbane...but what confused us all...nightshade."

How did Silos come into possession of nightshade?

"Why didn't Alpha Keir kill me...or let Quinn die for that matter?" I ask while surveying the look that Narkissa gives me.

"Considering you're in the initial stages of heat, progressing to the peak of your cycle," she motions to the shackles on one of the metal tables, "and the fact your senses were nullified, it would make sense as to why you hadn't realized-"

The door opens to the medical room, my heart skipping a beat when I catch his scent. Lifting from the medical bed, Narkissa cautioning me, "Don-"

His dark hair is brushed back and to the side, light brown eyes piercing directly into mine. His lips part to speak, but before a single sound can pass between them, another man a few years younger with sandy colored hair comes skidding through the doors, rounding the first and heading straight for Quinn's medical bed.