•1•

Silos bangs on my bedroom door again, calling, "Come on, Laura," he pauses a moment and I roll my eyes when he states, "it's been nearly a year of this!"

"So, kind of you to remind me of the marked day of my father's passing," I rise from my bed, slipping on tight jeans, socks, my boots, and pulling over a long-sleeved shirt.

"You keep shirking your responsibilities as Luna, picking and choosing what you care about," Silos continues berating me through the closed door, mimicking him while moving my hands to emphasize his points. He snaps, "Don't you care about your pack?!"

It's not my pack.

It never was.

"You're the beta, so why don't you do your job and step up in line-"

"You're Alpha Carter's daughter, Luna so-"

"So what? If my mate is an alpha, I'd be LEAVING and joining HIS pack," I'm frustrated with the way Silos continues to do this to me. Day in and day out...

I'm an alpha's daughter...

...but not my father's.

I slip on my dagger holster belt, the blades held tight to the outside of my thighs. Gathering my mess of flaming red hair, I tie it back and out of my face, crossing the space to the bedroom door. Grasping the handle in my hand, I abruptly pull open the door inward, staring up into Silos' eyes.

"Laura...you were never like this..." Silos' eyes soften as they hold pity.

"Death changes people," my words are cold...

...or more so; the skeletons that are dragged out of the closet when one's on their deathbed.

My origin...

...a secret that was taken to the grave twice now, once by my birth mother and once by my father. Only two others in this world know the truth, that being Mama-Laurel and the other...

Silos is silent while I lift my chin and ask, "How many rogues?"

"Two, but they're at different ends of the territory," Silos bites back anything else he wants to say to me, regarding the way I'd changed since the winter after my seventeenth birthday. I'd slowly grown cold, uncaring and not wanting to believe anything that came from anyone's mouth.

"I'm on it," I reply, Silos stepping to the side and allowing for me to move out into the hall.

It was my father's role to lead the pack, leading against the many attacks...that's all I've ever known my entire life, not a single moment of peace. Driven from our territory...by them...by him...it was only after the death of Alpha Rakkon that his son marked his place in our world, Alpha Keir Wood leading the Nightshade Prowlers Pack. I've never been to their territory, but ours was handed back to us shortly after this transition, a respect for the young alpha at the time he'd shown his strength.

Packs no longer advance on us, but that doesn't stop the lone rogue here and there from trespassing.

My responsibilities, my obligations...what belonged once to my father, are now my role.

As I round the corner to the main level of the pack house, I catch sight of Quinn out of the corner of my eye. She giggles at a joke told by one of the many unmated males, her stature pleasing to many, her nature soft and gentle...

...what I used to be.

The second she hears me call for her, "Quinn," she turns her attention right onto me. I nod at the door and a bright smile spreads across her face. The blade she'd been using to pick at something under her nails, she's quick to stand to her full height and sheath the blade at her side.