𝟐𝟓 | 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡.

time skip—two days after christmas

gina and ej have decided to throw a new year's eve celebration, wanting to spend this event with their close friends. with that, the couple have recently moved in together in an apartment in salt lake, so this event was a like home welcoming and new year's eve celebration combined.

it was a chilly afternoon, the boys spent their day in big red's old basement. they were just chilling, filling in on their days and drinking some beer.

"hey ricky, when are you going back to la?" ej asked, as he took another sip of his beer.

"wow are you really that excited for me to leave?" ricky lets out a joke. the room suddenly is filled with laughter, while ej just gave a glare. "nah bro, i'm just kidding. i'm leaving on the 31st."

"are you serious?" the four boys yelled while ricky gave a confused look. "huh?!"

"you're really leaving on new year's eve?!" carlos asks and ricky nods. "uh yeah, is there something wrong with that?"

"i mean nothing is wrong." red starts. "but that's sad. don't you at least want to spend new year's with us?"

seb responds as well. "yeah, or at least stay in slc during the new year?"

ej adds. "so you won't be able to join the party gina and i are throwing?"

ricky sighs. "look guys the reason why i'm leaving on the 31st is that i have to be back in la as soon as the holidays are over. there are so much work i have to finish."

ricky saw all of the boys' faces turn into sad or down faces, "fine, my flight isn't until midnight. i will at least go to the party for a while."

"yey!" they all yelled, giving each other high fives while ricky just chuckles.

meanwhile, the girls were staying at ricky and nini's old home (also known as isabella and connor's old home), they were in the living room while gracie was in her room, taking a nap. the girls were chatting mindlessly while playing some rounds of uno. it was nini's turn and she just zoned out.

"hello, earth to nini?!" kourtney waves her hand in front of her face until nini snapped. "uh what?"

"it's your turn hon." gina responds. "oh sorry."

"neens, you alright?" ashlyn gets concerned.

nini sighs as she puts down her cards, "honestly, no. i've been hella stressed lately. with selling the house to gracie, it's just too much."

"have you found any buyers yet?" kourtney asks and nini shakes her head. "just potential buyers but i don't think they will be interested in actually buying this house. most of them say it's too big."

"aw i'm so sorry neens." gina got up and sat next to nini, giving her a hug. nini gave her a pat. "hey it's ok. you don't have to worry about me. i can manage."

"neens." kourtney says. "you can always come to us ok? we're your best friends."

nini gives a small smile. "thanks guys."

the group continued their rounds of uno until they were too tired. gina got up to get another soda from the cooler. "hey guys, just wondering, will you be able to make it to ej and i's new year's eve party?"

kourtney and ashlyn both nodded their heads except for nini. "sorry, g. i don't think i'll be able to come. i have to stay with gracie."

"aw come on nini." kourtney groaned. "it's new year!"

"yeah, and i want to spend it with gracie. my moms and lola are gonna be in some party too, so like me and gracie have our alone time." nini replies. "also, i think you know who is going to be there. i'm realty sorry."

"it's ok neens, but if you do change your mind, you're always welcome." gina reminds her and she nods.

suddenly, they heard a loud knock on the door. the girls gave a confused look while nini stood up to see who was at the door. she was surprised to see seb and carlos smiling. "hey guys!"

"oh carlos, seb! what are you doing here? aren't you supposed to be with..."

"yeah ej, ricky and red. we were there a while ago. we just wanted to come see you guys." carlos exclaims as he and seb enters the house.

"uh very random but whatever." nini replies to herself as she closes the door.

carlos and seb sat down with the other girls. the two suddenly whispered something to them, making them all gasp. "uh guys, what are you talking about there?"

"nothing." they all yelled and nini rolled her eyes. "ok, you're hiding something what's up?"

"uh, it's....about.....ricky....." seb replied and there was awkward silence.

"you guys." nini started as she walked to the kitchen to grab some drinks for the boys. "it's totally fine. what about ricky?"

"he's leaving....again. and there is a BIG possibility he won't come home anytime soon. he said so himself." carlos says in a sad tone, while nini's body tensed up. she walked back to the living room, holding some cans of soda and handed it to both carlos and seb.

"oh ok. i hope he does great out there." nini replies with a small smile on her face.

"are you ok?" ashlyn asks and nini nods. "again, as I said, don't worry about me. ricky and i broke up. he can do whatever he wants. the only thing we can talk about is about gracie. nothing more."

everyone nods and they immediately change the topic. nini was smiling and laughing at their stories, but deep down, she felt hurt and confused. she was debating about her feelings towards ricky. she constantly asked herself if she was still in love with him or not and if she should do something about him leaving.

a few more chapters to go! sorry for not updating daily, i'm currently adjusting to online school (because we can't do face to face yet) and i've been busy. as soon as this book is done, i'll be uploading more stuff in my new rini book :)