Chapter 16

John was curled up in a blanket on his bed with his laptop open. He was watching reruns of Parks and Rec, while his eyes drooped slightly with exhaustion. It had been a long day of classes and work and he just needed a break

20 minutes later, Alex walked into the room to see John dozing on his bed, buried in his blanket with his laptop still blaring. Alex smiled at how adorable John looked, and tried to walk around without making any noise.

Alex's phone went off with a text from Herc. They were supposed to decide on costumes for the Halloween party that night, and go around town to shop for what they needed.

"A-Alex."

Alex looked up to see John muttering in his sleep. He blushed. Was he saying his name?

"Alex, please," he whimpered. It seemed like he was almost- moaning?

Oh boy. Alex decided to grab his laptop and head out before he heard anything else. Although he really did want to hear more.

John woke up a few minutes later with a start, his face hot and red. He looked around to make sure no one else was on the room. He was glad it was empty, seeing as he had just had a rather *personal* dream about someone he claimed not to have a crush on. He didn't want to have said something in his sleep and then Laf and Herc never let him hear the end of it.

John rubbed his eyes and shut his laptop. He really didn't feel like going shopping for Halloween costumes that night, even though he loved autumn, he just wanted to spend the night in his warm bed. The only thing that was motivating him was remembering that they had mac n cheese on the dinner menu that night. He hauled himself out of bed and grabbed his keys before heading out to meet up with the other three.

"Hey Alex!" John called as he went down the stairs. Alex was sitting in the common area with his laptop open, typing rapidly. John tried not to think about the dream he had just been having as he approached him.

Alex turned a violent shade of red and didn't look up from his laptop, swallowing hard.

"Uh, hey John," he said quietly as he continued typing.

"You okay?" John asked, sitting down on a chair across from him. "You seem nervous or something."

Alex shook his head.

"I'm fine, just concentrating," he said. John frowned. Then he realized something.

"Alex, wasn't your laptop in our room?" he asked. "I didn't hear you come in."

"I got it a little while ago," he said. "You were sleeping."

John felt his face grow hot. He really hoped that he didn't sleep talk, but with as weird as Alex was acting, it seemed like he might have.

"Oh," John responded. "Well- um, do you want to go to dinner now?"

Alex nodded and packed to his stuff, walking slightly ahead of John.

John felt his heart break a little. He didn't want him and Alex to grow apart.

He shook the thought aside and headed after Alex. His friend.

Only. His friend.