Chapter 12

"Alex! How was your first day of classes?"

Alex looked up from his laptop at Herc and smiled.

"Pretty good," he said. "There was kind of a jackass in my Formal Logic class, but I plan on outsmarting him, so I'm all set." He smiled. "How was your day?"

"Pretty good," Herc said, setting his backpack down. "I have a shit ton of homework for my Child Development class, though. Laf and I are gonna go to the library to work on our stuff tonight. Want to come with?"

"Sure," Alex said, turning back to his laptop. "I'll text John."

Herc smiled.

"I was gonna text him myself, but I figured you wanted to do that, so I left that to you," he responded. Alex turned pink and ignored him, taking out his phone and shooting John a text asking him to study that night. A few minutes later, John texted back, saying he was on his way back to the frat house right then and that he would be happy to study with them.

"John's in," Alex said. "He's on his way back right now, actually."

"Oh, he is? I'll get out of your hair, then," Herc said, winking. "See you later!"

Alex sighed and smiled as Herc left. At least he hadn't told John.

To his knowledge.

Alex pushed the thought out of his mind and continued typing. A few minutes later, John came into the room, smiling widely. He twirled around and collapsed on his bed.

"Have a good day?" Alex said, laughing. John sat up and tugged on his Dutch braids excitedly.

"I love being an art major," John said. "My classes are so, so, SO great. These professors really know what they're talking about." He pulled out a notebook from his bag. "My assignment for 2D-Art this week is to draw someone we love. And then we're going to draw them again at the end of the year." He paused and took a breath. "And I was wondering if I could draw you?"

Alex smiled widely.

"Really?"

"Yeah," John said, smiling at how eager Alex was. "You know, you're just a great person, and you've done a lot for me, so I'd really like to draw you if that's okay."

Alex nodded.

"Absolutely," he said, shutting his laptop. He laid on his side and posed Vogue style. "Will this work?"

John giggled.

"Just your face will be fine," he said. "Thank you so much Alex, we can start tonight!"

"I'm glad you had a good day," Alex said, smiling as his eyes twinkled. It was nice to see him so happy after such a difficult few days.

"Thank you," John said, blushing. "How was your day?" he asked, kicking off his shoes and wrapping a blanket around him.

"It was pretty good," Alex said. "My favorite class so far is Creative Writing. It's my minor," he added. "There was this kind of loud-mouth jackass in my Formal Logic class, but it's not bothering me that much."

"Well, you're a loud-mouth good ass, so I think you've got him beat," John said, as Alex smiled. "But seriously, you know what you're talking about and you're really, REALLY smart. No one could beat you in anyway if they tried. He's toast."

"Thanks John," Alex said, grinning. "Luckily, not only do I have great facts, but my sarcasm is top-tier, so I'm all set." John smiled.

"Hey, are you busy right now?" John asked. "Want to watch something before we go study tonight?"

Alex nodded.

"Sure, got anything in mind?" he said, pulling up Netflix on his laptop.

"Um, I hope you don't think I'm too much of a nerd for this, but Avatar?" John asked, smiling nervously and raising his eyebrows. Alex's eyes went wide.

"AVATAR?" he yelled. "Um, YES! BEST. SHOW. EVER." John laughed. Alex was too cute for his own good.

"I think we need to binge the whole series this semester," John said, smiling. Alex nodded quickly.

"Absolutely!" he said. He clicked on the first episode, then looked up at John. "Well, how are you going to see it from all the way over there?" Alex joked. He patted the spot next to him on his bed and John smiled, getting up and bringing himself and his blanket over to Alex's bed, sitting close, but not too close. He was really happy today, but that didn't give him a wave of confidence all of a sudden.

The first episode began playing. Alex and John recited the opening lines together, smiling at each other, just two dorks that definitely had crushes on each other.

But of course, neither of them knew about the other.

John hadn't told anyone. He didn't want to jump into another relationship just yet. Sure, Alex was cute and sweet and an amazingly supportive person, but he was still just scared to get hurt.

Alex glanced at John and smiled at the excited look in his eyes. He had never seen him so authentic and joyful in his life.

Being away from Thomas was a good look for him.

*time skip*

"Alex, stop making faces!" John laughed as Alex stuck his tongue out at him. "You can go back to writing, I'm just doing a rough sketch."

Alex smiled and turned back to his laptop, continuing his journaling assignment for his Creative Writing class.

"Why are children so complicated?" Herc groaned, looking over his list of vocabulary terms for Child Development. "They don't know what any of this shit is, why should I?"

"I think understanding children might be a little bit important to your future career," Laf said, frowning at his Statistics homework. "Now this, this is useless."

They all nodded and gave Laf their condolences. Math never had any use.

They worked until about 9:30, then decided it was time to head back to the dorm. The four of them stayed up talking about their classes, then decided to get some sleep at about 11:15. Alex rolled over and shut his eyes, only to get a text a few minutes later. It was from John, and it was a gif of Aang waving and it said "Goodnight!❤️" at the bottom. Alex smiled. He sent back a gif of Appa smiling back. John texted back a minute later.

John:
night alex:) thanks for watching my nerdy show with me❤️

Alex:
Thanks for watching my nerdy show with ME! Night John:)!