Chapter 11

It was the first day of classes for everyone. Laf didn't start until 11am, so he got to sleep in, but Herc had a 9am and Alex and John both had 8am classes. They were talking excitedly about finally being able to start on their majors- Laf was majoring in French, Herc was majoring in early childhood education, Alex was majoring in law, and John was majoring in art education.

"I'm so ready to finally meet someone who actually knows what they're talking about," John said, as he, Herc, and Alex were at the breakfast table at 7:15. "No more shitty high school teachers who only half-ass their jobs. I'm gonna be the shitty high school teacher who whole-asses his job!" he said, beaming.

Alex grinned as he admired John's first day outfit. He was wearing ripped jeans, black converse, a yellow hoodie, and his hair was in Dutch braids. He had black eyeliner and pink eyeshadow on, but the thing that looked most adorable on him was his excitement.

"I can't wait to meet someone who can finally shape Alex's always-running mouth into something useful," Herc laughed. Alex looked at him with mock-offense, but he laughed along. Honestly, he was ready to meet someone who could do that too.

"I'd better head to my class," John said, looking at his phone. "It's across campus, and there's no way I'm about to be late on the first day," he continued, picking up his bag.

"Hey, my class is on the way to yours," Alex said, standing up quickly. "I can go with you," he offered, ignoring Herc's raised eyebrows and smile as he sipped his coffee. Luckily, John didn't see that.

"Sure," he said, smiling. "See you later, Herc."

The two waved goodbye to Herc and headed out the door, a slight chill in the air.

"So, what made you want to become an art teacher?" Alex asked. "It doesn't sound like you had any great role models in that area."

John laughed.

"I absolutely did not," he said. "But I did have one really great English teacher. I always used to wish that she taught art so that I could have a subject I loved with someone I enjoyed and learned from so easily. So I decided to become that teacher for others. It's really important to me that nobody gets chased away from what they love, just because of a bad teacher."

Alex smiled.

"I think you're going to make a great teacher," he said, making John glow pink under his freckles.

"Thanks Alex," he said. "So, what about you? Why law?"

"Herc wasn't half wrong," Alex admitted, smiling at the ground. "I always have had a big mouth, so why not put it to use?"

John laughed.

"You might talk a lot, but at least you're smart when you do," John said. "You're not boring to listen to and you certainly know what you're talking about. You definitely chose the right path."

Alex smiled.

"Thanks," he said. Alex glanced up to the building on his right. "This is my stop. See you later?"

"Yep," John said. "Good luck" he waved and continued down the path.

Alex entered the building and took a seat in a medium-sized classroom. His first class of his college career was titled "Introduction to Formal Logic", a course that was all about the symbolism and breakdown of logical arguments. Alex took out his laptop and opened his notes page for the class as he waited for others to file in.

At 7:58, a man walked in and quieted everyone.

"Hello everyone," he said. "I'm Professor Washington, I'll be your instructor for Introduction to Formal Logic this semester. Now, can anyone tell me what formal logic is?"

Alex raised his hand, and, to his delight, was called on.

"It's the study of statements, definitions, and deductive arguments," he said. Professor Washington nodded and beamed.

"Precisely," he said. "Let's all copy that definition down, shall we?"

As Alex typed up the definition on his computer, the doors opened and closed from behind him. A boy strolled down the steps, not a care in the world, reeking of arrogance.

"Ah," said Professor Washington, looking up at the boy, unamused. "Nice of you to join us, Mr.-?"

"Lee," the boy said, slumping into a seat. "Charles Lee."

"Well, Mr. Lee, catch up with the notes, please," the professor said, hiding his annoyance. "Rule number one of being a good lawyer- be punctual."

Alex stared at Charles Lee. He didn't seem embarrassed or off-set for a second. He could already tell that they wouldn't get along.

But the most exciting part was that Alex could detect that this boy was a loudmouth, just like him. Two loudmouths, one classroom.

And one had already pissed the teacher off.

Alex smiled as he typed the next definition into his computer. He had the upper hand. And he wasn't going to let it go to waste.

AN: sorry for the short chapter! I really need to map out these stories better lol.
-Eli