Chapter 5

Later that day, Laf, Herc, and Alex were walking around campus, familiarizing themselves with the buildings, when Laf got a text.

"There's going to be a party in the frat tonight," he said to the other two. "I think we should make sure our room is locked so that no one bangs on our mattresses."

Alex laughed, but he was the only one that did. Herc smirked at him.

"He's right, you know," Herc said. Alex's smile faltered. Maybe he didn't know as much about college life as he thought he did. Did people really just do that randomly? Alex shook the thought from his head and continued walking with the other two.

"Alexander!"

Alex turned to see Aaron Burr walking toward them.

"Oh, hey Aaron!" he responded, smiling.

"Aaron!" Herc cried, springing up to give him a hug. "How are you?"

"Great! You guys?"

"Good!"

"Aaron, there's going to be a party at the frat tonight," Laf said. "You should come!"

Aaron smiled. "Can I have a plus one?"

"Of course!" said Herc. "Who do you have in mind?"

"Or is it-" Laf started, giving Herc a side eye and grinning at Aaron.

"Could it possibly be THEOD-"

"Guys!" Aaron said laughing. "Keep it down!" There was a second of silence. "And yes, it's Theodosia."

Laf and Herc went wild, but Alex just stood there confused.

"Who's Theodosia?" he asked, wishing he had went to high school with them so he didn't feel so out of place.

"Oh, no one special," Laf said, winking at Aaron and grinning widely.

"Just the girl he's been going after since his freshman year of HIGH SCHOOL!" Herc said. "You finally asked her out?!"

"Yep," Aaron said, beaming. "Thanks for letting me bring her guys, I really appreciate that. What time should we come over?"

"Party starts at 9," Herc said. "See you then!"

Aaron waved bye to the others and heading in the opposite direction.

Herc, Laf, and Alex arrived back at the frat. There were two tables set up on the side of the main hall with empty plates and punch bowls, ready to be filled later that night.

"I'm gonna go and try to get some writing done before the party," Alex told the others. They nodded and he headed upstairs towards the dorm. He had been working on documenting his time at college, and he didn't want to miss out on a single detail. It was already 26 pages long, and classes hadn't even started yet.

Alex opened his laptop and began typing when he got a text. It was from Peggy.

Pegs: alex i'm only asking this because i'm your friend and i'm genuinely concerned about the first impression you might give others at tonight's party, but what are you going to wear?

Alex: I was just going to wear my sweatpants and t-shirt

Pegs: hell to the no. the girls and i were going to get ready with john before the party, but now i see there are more dire circumstances. we'll be there soon

Alex: What's wrong with what I had planned?!

Peggy didn't answer that text. Alex groaned and put his head in his hands. All he wanted was to write. What was so wrong with what he had on anyway? Oh well. At least he'd get to see John. And maybe Peggy was right, this was the first time he'd get to meet a bunch of people on campus. He had to do it right. Just then, there was a knock on the door. Alex frowned and stood up to go answer it. Peggy couldn't be here already, could she?