Chapter 14

The days passed, and everyone was getting more and more used to college life. The campus was soon lit up with a stunning array of colors as the leaves changed for autumn. Autumn had always been Alex's favorite season, but after seeing John slowly change his wardrobe to oversized sweaters and ripped jeans, it gave him even more of a reason to love it.

One day, John came moping into the dorm, threw down his backpack, and slumped headfirst onto his bunk with a dramatic groan.

"What's wrong with you?" Herc asked, looking up from his book. Alex turned his chair to face John. The four-part desk's dividers had been removed, and it was scattered with Alex's miscellaneous papers and books. Laf hung his head over his bunk and stared down at John.

John dramatically sighed and flipped onto his back.

"Apparently, I need to get my eyesight checked," he huffed. "According to one of my professors- well, three of them, actually- I've been squinting at the board and my notes appear to be inaccurate." He rolled his eyes.

"I thought you wore contacts," Laf said, raising an eyebrow. He was still hanging over the side of his bunk. "You had glasses up until sophomore year."

"I wore them for a few weeks but then I kind of got annoyed with putting them in and never wore them again," John admitted sheepishly. "That's why I studied with you guys practically everyday, so I could copy your notes."

"And here we were, thinking you were just being a good student," Herc said, with mock-offense. "Did you set up an appointment?"

John nodded. "I have one Saturday at 12," he said.

"Why are you so miserable about it?" Laf asked, flipping back up onto his bunk.

"I don't want to wear glasses again!" John whined. "Besides, I have a brand made for myself. It'll cramp my style."

The other three boys tried to stifle their laughter.

"Cramp your style? Seriously?" Herc said. "For goodness sakes John, you've had people throwing themselves at you for years. Even when you DID have glasses. Trust me, nothing's going to cramp your style."

"He's right," Laf agreed, hopping down from his bunk. "Besides, it's fall. Over-sized sweater and glasses are the move."

"You're going to look great," Alex said, smiling warmly. "If you want, I can go to your appointment with you," he offered. John sat up quickly.

"Really?" he said, looking at Alex with wide, pleading eyes. "That would be great, Alex."

Alex blushed and nodded, turning back to the desk quickly. He tried not to think about how adorable John would look with his glasses, but images kept appearing in his mind and he couldn't concentrate. There was nothing he wanted more than to walk down to the street, holding John's hand, while John was wearing his glasses and a cute sweater, chatting away about nothing in particular as the leaves fell around them.

But that was just a far-away dream.

On Saturday, Alex treated John to some coffee and tried to calm his nerves as they walked to the eye doctor, who was only a few blocks down the road from the campus.

"So," Alex said, trying to keep John's mind on anything but the appointment (he could tell he was nervous), "what's your favorite season?"

"Oh please, is that even a question?" John exclaimed. "Fall! Obviously!"

Alex smiled. "That's mine, too!"

"I mean, everything about it is just picture-perfect," John said, his eyes lighting up. "First, the leaves start changing colors. Then, it gets chillier and everyone starts bundling up in cute fall clothes. Then, the leaves start falling and you can make leaf piles to jump in! And once it gets colder, you can start drinking hot chocolate, too! And then it's HALLOWEEN, which is the BEST HOLIDAY EVER! And you can watch spooky movies and cuddle up in blankets and carve pumpkins and decorate and go to parties and dress up as whatever you want! And then it's Thanksgiving, and you can stuff yourself with all the food you could possibly imagine. And then it's December, and it's just the perfect transition into winter and Christmas and snow and all that fun!" He blushed, realizing how long he had gone on about fall. "Sorry," he said quickly. "I'm still a little kid at heart, I guess."

Meanwhile, Alex was gazing at John with hearts in his eyes.

"Don't apologize," he said quietly. "I think that was just about the most perfect description of the season that I could ever possibly imagine." John blushed and stared at his shoes. "Besides, it's nice to have another autumn enthusiast! Now we can do all that fun stuff together! If you want," he added quickly.

John smiled and his face lit up.

"I would LOVE that, Alex," he said, grinning brightly.

Alex smiled back and fought the urge to hold John's hand and kiss him.

The two arrived at the eye doctor. They headed into the office, and John was seated in a chair and told to read charts.

"Well," said the doctor, pulling the machine away from John's face, "it's good you came here. You really need glasses, kiddo," she said. "Why don't you go pick out some frames? Then we'll order them with your prescription and you can pick them up in about a week."

John nodded, and he and Alex headed out to the waiting room, which had different pairs of glasses lining the walls. John tried on a few different ones, judging his reflection harshly as Alex stood back and laughed. Finally, he put on a pair of round glasses, and looked in the mirror. He fell silent.

"Alex," he said, "what about these?"

Alex looked up and felt his heart swell when he saw the sight before him. The short boy in the cute yellow sweater, wearing pretty makeup, with his hair braided in the back, was staring up at him, smiling hopefully. The glasses fit his face perfectly and highlighted his features.

"John, wow," Alex breathed. He suddenly caught himself staring and coughed, looking away quickly before looking back. "You look absolutely INCREDIBLE," he said. John blushed.

"Thanks Alex," he said. "I think I'll go with these ones," he told the receptionist. She smiled and took them from him, placing them in a box.

"They'll be ready Thursday, dear," she said sweetly.

John and Alex left the office, walking back to campus in the chilly autumn air, talking about nothing in particular. Alex stared at the beautiful boy next to him and smiled.

He was lucky to have John in his life.