Chapter 25: Happy Unattached-Drifter's Christmas

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

I woke up on Valentine's Day with a groan and a bitter taste in my mouth. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and I was ready to kill something. Why, might you ask?  Because Sam had been continuously reminding me of how Dean liked to spend what he called Unattached-Drifter's Christmas and asking me what I had planned with Lincoln with an unreadable smirk.

Shoot me.

Lincoln and I hadn't spoken since the break up, so I wasn't sure if we were on good terms or not. Either way, considering I'd been using him as an excuse for lessons with Gabriel, the boys were definitely expecting me to go on some big romantic shindig tonight while Dean was going to go bang every unattached woman from Main Street to town square. Great.

Having recognized some time ago that I actually had some sort of feelings toward the man was not helping my mental state at all. Now I had stupid obtrusive thoughts—how's my hair? Did he like my shirt? He was checking out my ass, right?—barging into my head at all hours of the day while small bouts of jealousy crept up at the most inopportune moments.  I felt like I was in high school again, and we all know how much I liked high school. Sometimes I thought how, if I could shoot every butterfly flapping around in my stomach, all of my problems would be solved in record time.

Pew pew, you little shits.

Making my way downstairs, I found Dean and Sam sipping their morning coffee at the tables and discussing a new case. Sam waved good morning while Sparky simply nodded in acknowledgment of my presence as I went to pour a cup for myself. With a mug that read 'don't talk to me', I added cream before leaning against the counter and sipping quietly while  listening to their conversation.

"Well my money's on demonic or ghost possession." Dean said, taking a long sip before setting down his empty cup and waving a finger at his brother. "Only way something like that's gonna happen."

"Something like what?" I crossed one arm over my chest while I continued holding my mug with the other.

"New case Bobby called in 'bout an hour ago." Sam filled in for me. He swung his laptop around so I could see the screen. Lit up nice and bright was an article from Dubois, Wyoming stating the deaths of a man and a woman. "A couple allegedly ate each other to death last night. Sounds pretty supernatural to me."

My nose scrunched in disgust. "Wow. Thank you for that. Just what I needed to make this morning even better." Dean gave a small snort of amusement from where he sat, but I didn't look away from the article. "Dubois? What side of the state?"

"West," Sam told me immediately.

I did a little mental math and raised an eyebrow. "That's, what? Ten, eleven hours? If we leave now we'll get there around 1800 hours. You boys ready for another case after everything that went down yesterday? I mean, Cass is barely recovered. He's still in my guest bed."