Chapter 21: Notes from No One

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

"For the last time," I sighed, as I squeezed the pillow over my head. The words came out muffled, but I'm sure he got the drift. "You're not real."

"Of course I am." Steven retorted from his spot on the foot of my bed. "As real as you are."

We'd been at this since I got home from my second shift. He was harmless on the drive home, but during research he became quite the nuisance: shaking his leg, tapping pencils, and humming obnoxiously loud. Still, it wasn't something I couldn't handle. That is, it wasn't until I tried to sleep. Currently, I was pretty sure I'd managed a total of 1 hour and maybe 40 minutes. My morning shift started in less than two hours and there was no time to get any more sleep.

Groaning, I threw the pillow at him and sat up. I would say it was nice to see my older brother- of course, maybe I was considered the older one now?- again, but he kept saying things that broke my heart or warped me. Things that would never come out of his mouth were pouring like word vomit. "Are we getting up now?" He asked, jumping off of the bed as I padded out of the bedroom and into the bathroom. Thankfully, he stayed outside of the closed door. "Going back to work? You know if they died while you were gone, it's all your fault."

I shook my head as I got off of the toilet and began to wash my hands. "No, it's not. They know the risks." My whisper should have been too quiet for him to be able to hear, but he responded nonetheless. Grabbing my toothbrush, I tried to think of anything else.

"You gave them a ring against a wraith." He chided. I wiped my face on the towel and opened the door to see his smirk paired with crossed arms. "Remember the last time you lost someone to a wraith?"

Images flashed through my head at the mention: a young girl screaming at me for help, my failure to save her, giving her a hunter's funeral, and leaving a note for her family. "Shut up." I growled, pushing past him and back to my room to get changed.

Again, he remained outside of the room to give me some privacy. Not sure if the boundary was from the wraith or my own mind, but I was thankful for it either way. "And what about Dean? I can't wait for you to tell him how you feel." My blood ran with ice as I paused in the middle of putting on my pants. "You think about him all the time, but you're never on his mind."

I breathed a sigh of relief. Honestly thought that particular attack was going to be a lot worse.

"And the only reason he stopped anything physical between you two is because he hates who you are. What you are." Guess I spoke too soon. "Abomination. Freak. Monster. He's only stayed this long because he wants to kill you himself for what you did to Jo and Ellen. I thought that would be obvious." Swallowing hard, I refused to respond. "What? No witty retort? Come on, little sister. We're just getting started!"

Grabbing my cell phone from the bedside table, I walked back out of the room trying my best to ignore him. The house was quiet without my boys. My footsteps sounded too loud as I descended the stairs. I'd left my purse next to the answering machine, and the blinking red light on it only served to remind me that I hadn't called Lincoln back.