Chapter 7: Time Warp

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

The moment my eyes opened I could tell something was wrong. It was obvious the fever was broke, but goosebumps still covered my skin. Glancing down at myself brought a bigger shock than I had anticipated, waking up Dean with my squeak.

"Wh-what happened? What's going on?" A large hand rubbed aggressively at his eyes as my companion tried to force away the drowsiness.

Something had happened while we slept. Our blankets were gone, the mattress had all but deteriorated and I was in nothing but Dean's large green flannel. There wasn't much that I remembered from the night before, but I was pretty sure the room had looked better than this when I fell asleep. "Did you cheap out on the room, or what?" I joked dryly, standing up and walking to the window. Pushing away the curtain, my breath caught in my throat. "Dean. Come look at this."

He was over in a moment, his taller frame peeking over me. "What the hell?" Now was not the time for me to be thinking about the spark that jumped between us, but it was a much easier thing to focus on than what was on the other side of that window.

The town was desolated.

Forgotten or totaled cars littered the street below. The sky, dark and foreboding, was nothing compared to the buildings that seemed to have been ripped apart by God himself. There was nothing else powerful enough to cause this much destruction, right? To keep my hands from shaking, I gripped the windowsill, knuckles whitening. In that moment, I knew something was definitely wrong because my burned hand was now nothing more than an ugly scar.

Dean spun around without a word, making his way down the stairs and out of the hotel. By some miracle, our shoes were still on our feet, despite the fact that I knew we had taken them off prior to crawling into bed. Unfortunately, my pants were still missing in action.

We found ourselves on the street in little to no time at all, picking our way through the debris and simply taking in the destruction surrounding us. Besides the two of us, the world was still. There was in air about the place that made me fear we were in the calm before the storm. As we passed each fallen building, I expected to find someone- anyone- but we were completely alone.

Rubbing my arms to keep the chill out, I let my eyes slip over Dean. He was stunning to behold when he was in his element, and this certainly seemed to be his element. Bright green eyes raked over the terrain, his jaw muscle tight in anticipation. His wide shoulders held all of the tension as his fingers twitched to hold a weapon. To be perfectly honest, I was terrified to be weaponless in this place, but his focused demeanor calmed my nerves.

"Little girl?" My head jerked to where he was looking, no longer focused on him. "Little girl?" Carefully, Dean made his way into a side alley, approaching a small form curled in on herself before a pile of broken glass.

Call it instinct, but something felt wrong. "Dean?" I questioned, but he was quick to wave me off, only focusing on the little girl despite my slowing pace.