Chapter 22: Letting Go

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

"Just keep me updated, idiots. You know my number."

Sam laughed through the phone. "By heart. Right now we're researching, so the most harm that can come to us is the amount of greasy food currently being inhaled by Dean."

I rolled my eyes and put my hair up, phone on the bathroom counter on speaker. "Alright, alright. I'll step off. Just keep me updated. Aim straight, Jolly."

"Have fun with Lincoln. Happy hunting, Short Stack." The call ended as I tightened my hair and frowned into the mirror.

Show time.

The boys had left for Massachusetts just last night. Apparently someone from their past was being haunted by a poltergeist: an old babysitter or something. They had jumped at the chance to help, just like always. However, when they asked if I wanted to tag along, I simply shook my head with a sad smile. My official reason was that Lincoln had planned something special. Well, I was planning on seeing Lincoln tonight, but the biggest reason was that today was the day. My ten days were up.

Sliding on my leather jacket and lacing up my combat boots, I started toward the barn. It was February 3rd and the snow had started melting rather early. The groundhog hadn't seen its shadow, and I was praying for an early spring. With the watch on my wrist ticking the time away to 4 o'clock, I gripped onto the notes in my pocket.

A part of me scolded myself for not telling the boys about this. What if it was a trap? What if I died? But I shook the thoughts away. Hunting was in my blood. Whatever was waiting for me in that barn was something I could face on my own. I could do this. Counting down from three in my head, I whipped open the doors and entered dramatically.

But the barn was empty.

"So much for a dramatic entrance." I mumbled, closing the doors behind me as my eyes adjusted to the dimly lit barn. Walking over to the bar my boys had helped to build, I sat on the counter. Dust was attempting to settle in the light from where I had walked, and I couldn't help but think of all the work I still had to do.

The ticking of my watch seemed louder than normal as it echoed through the barn. At 5 past, I began to worry. Had I gotten something wrong? Misread the message? At ten past, I was ready to head back inside. However, before I could even get off of the counter top, the lights above me began to flicker. The wind picked up outside, and I braved myself with a hand on the gun at my waist.

Whatever I was waiting for, had just arrived.

Without warning, the barn doors flew open wide, the sun casting a dramatic winged shadow onto the worn wooden floor. The sun behind the new arrival kept him hidden in a silhouette as he walked further into the barn. Each step was slow and purposeful as it made its way to me. Finally, beneath a single light bulb, his face came into view with a knowing smirk.