Chapter 15

"Victor, I honestly think you need to trust Benji. From the time that I spent around him when you were here, he looks at you like he would do anything for you. You two are perfect together. Victor, my friend, you have found your Bram. On a side note, Bram and I will be in town in a week. Abby and Leah asked us all to meet at Waffle House. Our friends Nick and Garrett will be there too. We want you there, Victor. You and Benji, Felix too.

Love, Simon."

-----

Benji

Two Days Later

     As I opened my eyes, the first thing I see is Victor sleeping in the chair next to me, I think, "I wonder how long he has been here." I wonder how long I have been out. I think, "What brought me here-" I close my eyes, and I remember the other day, with Dillon, and how he was about to shoot Victor. I look at my arm, and I mutter to myself, "I took a bullet for him."

     I reach for his hand, and as I interlock our fingers, he wakes up. I look into his eyes and say, "Babe, I love you." He gets up and kisses me, and I start to cry. He looks into my eyes and asks, "Babe, what is wrong?" I take my arm that isn't in a cast and pull him close. I say, "I was so afraid that I was going to lose you." He looks at me and says, "Babe, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here."

     I close my eyes and ask, "So, is-" Victor sits back down in the chair, not letting go of my hand, and says, "I don't know." I look at him again and ask, "What about-" I see everyone else standing in the doorway. I start to cry because we all are safe.

     Andrew smirks at me, his arm is also in a cast, and with his free hand, he is holding Mia's. He says, "Campbell, that's gonna leave a badass scar," He looks at Victor and says, "Salazar, you are one lucky man." As he finishes, a nurse walks in behind them and says, "No more than three people to the room, all of you must leave." I ask, "Um, when can I go home?" 

     She smiles and says, "We called your parents, your mother and brother will be here soon to pick you and your boyfriend up." I smile and say, "You get to meet-" Victor kisses me and says, "I already have. She is the one who signed the waiver that let me be in here with you." I feel the tears stream down my face.

-----

Victor

One Week Later (Two Weeks Since The Incident)

     "Victor, are we going to talk about it?" Says Mrs. Spier as she was writing on her yellow legal pad notebook. I close my eyes and say, "What is there to talk about?" She smiles and says, "Victor, honey, you need to talk to someone about what happened. Dillon could have killed you."

     I look at her and say, "Ok fine, so my boyfriend's best friend tried to kill me to get with my boyfriend. I was tied up and thrown into the back of his sports car. I heard him kill a cop because of me. He shot at my friends, injuring Andrew. He almost killed me, but Benji took the bullet." I freeze and start to cry.

     Mrs. Spier sat next to me, put her hand on my back, and said, "Victor, honey, it's ok to cry about this." I look up at her and say, "What would I have done if Benji died." As I continue crying, she asked, "Have you heard anything new about Dillon's condition?"

     I freeze at his name. I don't want to hear it. I snap, "Who cares, all I know is he is in a coma, and pieces of his skull are lodged in his brain." Mrs. Spear says, "Victor, he can't hurt you anymore. Benji is safe, and so are your friends. If Dillon wakes up from an injury like that, he won't be the same." I look up at her and ask, "How do you know?"

     She picks up her iPad and scrolls through an article she was reading earlier. She hands me the iPad and says, "Dillon was fortunate. An injury like he had, he has a five percent chance of survival. If he survives the coma, he will have severe memory loss and many other medical issues." She pauses for a second to gauge my response, but I am just reading the article. She continues, "He is going to have a long road to recovery, which he won't ever be the same person. You and Benji don't ever have to see the Dillon you knew ever again."