Chapter 23

*Trigger Warning*

*A transphobic slur is used in this chapter*

-----

Friday - Day of the Art Show

Victor

Brasstown

     As we all walked through the door, Adrian ran past me, screaming, "I call dibs on the couch!"  I looked at my sister and asked, "Pilar, can you please make sure Adrian doesn't get himself into any trouble while I am at work?"  Pilar rolled her eyes and said, "Ugh, fine!  I guess this place is better than listening to mom and dad fight all day."  

     She walked over to the couch where Adrian had taken his Frozen wand out and started waving it in the air.  She turned to me as she was walking away and said, "I expect free coffee all-day, Hot Chocolate with extra whip cream for Adrian, and I will take an Iced Mocha, extra whip cream."  I smiled and said, "You got it!"  As soon as she had her back turned, Benji laughed and said, "Sarah is going to kill you!"  I muttered, "This is going to be an expensive day."

     As I walked behind Benji into the main work area, Felix asked, "Why are your siblings here with you?" I sighed and said, "Mom and dad are fighting, so I took them away from the drama." Felix replied, "Sorry, buddy! Maybe they can go to the art show tonight?" I looked at Benji, making sure he didn't forget, and when I did, Benji replied, "Oh, yeah!" He turned to Sarah and asked, "Is there any way we can get off a bit early tonight? Our friend has a big art show-" Sarah snapped, "That should be fine."  She paused, sounding somewhat annoyed, but continued, "I will just call the closing people to tell them to get here early."  As she walked away, Benji said, "Thank you!"  As she got to the point that we couldn't see her anymore, she muttered, "Yeah, yeah."

     As soon as Sarah was out of sight, Felix came out from the locker room.  All dressed up.  I asked, "Where are you going?"  Felix laughs and says, "Carter and I are going out for the day until the show.  He is supposed to be here any minute now."  I smiled, thinking of how happy Carter has made him.  I asked, "You really like him, don't you?"  Felix smiled at me and said, "I really do!  When I was into Lake, it was more like I was trying to fit into what society wanted, but with Carter, I can just be myself."

     The thought of my best friend being this happy brought a smile to my face.  I looked at Benji, who was getting ready for our shift and completely oblivious to our conversation and said, "You know, that is how I felt with Mia too.  I was just trying to please everyone else but ignoring my feelings.  With Benji-"  Saying his name must have caught his attention because he tousled his hair like he did when I first saw him as he walked our way, which made my insides melt.

      Watching him walk towards me, I must have looked like a deer in the headlights because Benji laughed and asked, "Babe, are you ok?  You are staring-"  I shook my head to snap out of it, which made Felix and Benji laugh.  Benji grabbed me by the waist and kissed me softly on the cheek, and said, "You are so cute!"  Felix laughed at our interaction and said, "That is how I am with Carter!  Speaking of, I have to meet him downtown.  Call us when you are off!"  He grabbed his jacket and darted out of the coffee shop, and Benji and I went to work.

     After I quickly made Pilar and Adrian's drinks, I brought them over to the couch.  Adrian quickly grabs his hot chocolate and yells, "Thank you, Victor!"  I was expecting something similar from Pilar, but she was on the phone, so I set her drink down on the table.  Before I could walk away and get back to work, Pilar asks, "Hey, is it alright if I bring a friend tonight?"  I smile at the fact that Pilar has a friend and say, "Yeah, that's fine!  Who are you bringing?"  Pilar blushes and asks, "Remember Marcus?"