Chapter 21

Pilar

"Come on, Adrian, we are LEAVING!" I roared at my little brother as he planted himself outside the front door of Mom and Auntie Monica's building.  With a stern look on his face, Adrian pouts and says, "No, Pilar, I want to spend time with Mom and Auntie Monica.  They said they were going to take us to get ice cream!"

     I felt sick.  How could my little brother actually want to spend time with her?  Mom and Dad haven't even started getting divorced yet, and she invites the man who destroyed our family.  I scream, "ADRIAN, WE ARE LEAVING!"  He glares at me, and I feel my heartbreak.  Adrian has never looked at me like he hated me before.

     He looks at me with great sadness and says, "Pilar, I don't know who that man was, but since Mom and Dad are splitting up.  I just want to spend time with them.  What happens if one moves away?  I want to spend as much time as I can with them both."  I mutter, "Adrian, you know who that was, right?"  He shook his head and said, "No, and I don't care, I just want to see Mom.  Now, I am going inside and if you want to leave, see you at Dad's."

     I sighed, louder than I probably should have, and said, "Fine, but if he makes it weird, I am taking you home, deal?"  His sad face turned to one of delight as he shook his head and replied, "Ok, but if he plays Frozen Wands with me, the deal is off."

-----

Carter

   "Yes, this is Carter." The woman responds, "This is Doctor Cheng, one of the doctors here, and we have some news for you about the condition of one Dillon Baxter. You are listed as his only contact." In a daze, I mutter, "Um, yes, is ev-everything, ok?" I could feel the tears streaming down my face, fearing the worst has happened. The doctor quickly says, "Well, Dillon was moved to the long term care unit a month ago, as you already knew, but today, while one of our nurses was caring for him, he woke up." I scream, "Oh my god!"

   The nurse laughs for a second, then replies, "Yes, he did wake up today. If you could just come by the hospital today, I can go over some other things with you." I nod my head, wiping the tears from my face, and say, "Yes, be there as soon as I can." Once I heard the line go dead, I look around the room for Martin and loudly say, "Dillon woke up." Martin's jaw drops, and says, "Oh my god, are you going to see him?" I ask, "Can you take me?"

   Abby looks confused for a second and asks, "Who the hell is Dillon?" Leah was not amused at all and said, "You mean the jack ass that almost killed everyone? You want to go see that asshole?" I stood firm at my stance and said, "Dillon is the only family I have other everyone and Felix. He is the only brother I have ever had." Leah looks at Martin and says, "Addison, you are driving.  I want to be there in case he tries something."

-----

Victor

     "M-Mom,"  I muttered, trying not to lose it as I stare down Roger.  "Mi Amor, I didn't-"  "You didn't wh- what!" I roar as she turns to console me.  With tears in her eyes, she says, "Victor, I wasn't expecting this at-"  I scream, "No, you are lying!  You always lie!  You lied to Dad, you lied to all of us, and now you are lying again!"

     "Victor, it's not like that amor, I texted him when I picked up Monica yesterday, but I didn't tell him about the apartment."  She says as tears are streaming down her face.  Monica grabs my shoulders and wraps her arms around me as she says, "Mijo, I swear that I had no idea about this, but you need to hear your mother out."

     Part of me wanted to run, but my anger had me rooted in place, so I snapped, "Fine, explain this then.  How did HE find out about your apartment?"  With a smug smirk, Roger exclaims says, "Well, to be honest, son, I own this building.  I own many buildings in many cities.  Once I saw your Mom's name go through, I had to greet my newest tenant."