twenty seven - getting wet

My head hurts and I don't want to open my eyes to even find out where I am. Slowly, I move my hands - attempting to gain awareness of where I could possibly be. I cautiously open my eyes, blinking a few times to gain clearer sight of where I am. Well, this isn't too bad.

I realize that I'm laying in my bedroom wearing my dress from last night, with an orange sunrise light peeking through the drawn curtains. I squint at the light beaming through, still not really understanding how I got here. I remember being at Luke's house, kissing him because I  was mad at Ashton. Well, I am mad at Ashton. Kind of. It's too early and I'm too dizzy to be thinking about whatever happened last night.

I slowly attempt to raise my head, only to be brought back down by the sharp pain. Well today should be fun. I don't know why I do this to myself as if drinking last night would solve anything. I seem to remember drinking more alcohol at Luke's house before everything's gone blank. 

I finally open my eyes fully, gazing around my bedroom. Ashton! I spot Ashton snoozing in my rocking chair on the other side of my bedroom, his eyes shut and a blanket across his lap. My Ashton. He looks so peaceful sleeping - it's almost impossible to be mad. I just don't want him to go - I only just got him. I know people think they'll be other guys, but there won't - nothing like the first boy I've fallen in love with. The boy I would do anything for.

Ashton's head slowly rises and his eyes flutter open. I don't bother moving an inch, I stay half upright on my bed staring at him because I can never seem to take my eyes away from him.

"Good morning, Lacey," Ashton mumbles, with somewhat sarcasm to his voice. 

"How did you get in here?" I whisper - not wanting to wake up my parents. I wasn't sure how Ashton managed to get in here in the first place.

"You told me you leave a spare set of keys in your bush," Ashton mutters, not seeming to be overly joyful to see me. Why would he be? I almost cheated on him! "Jesus, Lacey, what was you thinking?"

And there it is. I quietly speak, afraid of losing him. "I was upset I guess."

Ashton leans forward in his chair. Uh oh. He rubs his hands over his face and glares back at me, ready to snap. "Upset? Lacey, Luke called me at three in the morning telling me you were laying in his bathtub telling his dog Calum will never love her! Who the fuck does that?"

That's embarrassing. I gulp and sit up straight, even though my head winces with pain. I look to Ashton, glaring at me as he awaits an explanation. "You told me you're leaving me, Ashton."

Ashton snaps, "so you decide to go to Luke's house?"

I practically whimper like a child, "I was upset and confused!"

"What happened while you were there?" Ashton asks and I stay quiet. Just lie! I can't. I don't want to lie to Ashton or I'll feel guilty forever. "Lacey?"

I blink away a few tears threatening to fall from my eyes as I slowly look forward to Ashton. "I kissed him."

Ashton's eyes widen and I know he's angry. He doesn't move or say anything. For god's sake just speak! He thinks for a while, leaving me falling apart in front of him as I worry about his next actions. He stands up from the chair and cautiously, he walks over to where I'm sat on the bed. He props himself on the end of the mattress and looks up at me with sparkling eyes.

"This is a mess," Ashton sighs, running a hand through his hair.

I nod in response, scared that I may say the wrong thing. "I'm sorry, Ashton. A normal girlfriend would have said congratulations and we would have gone back inside and drank wine with your insensitive parents."