062

The dungeons were somehow both dark and gloomy whilst also remaining just as dignified as the rest of the palace, I realized, making my way down narrow winding stairways and corridors, the walls around me turning to rock, the ground crumbling underneath my feet with every step.

Finally reaching the bottom, I lifted my gaze to the tall ceiling above me, nothing more than the raw roof of an enormous cavern being held up by stone columns, meandering and following a winding course further into the darkness of the dungeons.

The whole area seemed to be cut directly into the rough stone with uneven surfaces everywhere, the walls lit up by flickering torches that swayed in an invisible breeze, turning blue as I passed them.

Cells lined both sides of the hallway I had chosen, but there was no one to be found, not even guards.

The place was truly empty, I thought, suddenly coming to a halt as I passed one cell in particular that seemed different from the others, colder than the others, retracing my steps.

My breath caught as I carefully reached out a hand to touch the bars separating the cell from the world outside, stepping closer to study the layer of ice, cold to the touch, beautiful patterns swirling up and down the iron.

Inside the darkness of the cell, San lay on a bed of hay, all alone, cold, and obviously hurting, the sight making a wave of shame was over me.

I felt guilty as I glared at the awful cell, knowing that the ice elemental had probably spent all night down here while I had the pleasure of sleeping in my own bed, having my wounds treated, and even enjoying the luxury of a warm bath.

I felt hot tears stream down my face as I stared at San's back, dirty with dried blood from the wound he had suffered during the battle, his tired body slumped across the ground. I sniffled, the sound sending a jolt through his body as he turned to me.

His eyes widened, and he struggled to get op from the floor before staggering over to me, carefully placing his hands on top of mine that were still clenching the bars to his cell, separating us.

It was almost too much, the feeling of being so close to him, his eyes frantically searching my face, worried.

But the fact that he looked worried only made me hate myself even more, the tears flowing faster as I choked back a sob.

"Hey," San whispered, releasing one of my hands only top cup my face instead, caressing my cheekbones with his thumb, the callouses of scars and battle running over the smooth skin as he wiped my tears away, so softly, so carefully.

"What are you doing here, y/n? You should be with the others. You should be with your father-" he said, but I cut him off as I shook my head, pulling away only to stop as San's grip on my hand tightened a little.

I stayed put, sniffling as I avoided his eyes.

"It's his fault that you're down here. And mine as well. It's only right that I stay here and take care of you," I mumbled.

San's thumb stopped caressing my face for a moment as the words slipped past my lips, but he quickly resumed the motion as he sighed, shaking his head as a smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

I looked up hesitantly, stepping closer to the bars, closer to the man behind them, my heart hammering against my ribs.

"Your eyes," San suddenly exclaimed, looking shocked, as if he hadn't noticed it until now. I shrugged, "Yours look the same," and his eyes widened even more at the comment.