047

Daios looked completely unfazed by my question, his handsome face glowing golden in the flickering lights from the chandeliers overhead.

He looked as if he hadn't even heard me.

That was all it took for me to push away my fear, though my hands kept shaking as I suddenly felt hot, my appetite long gone as my inner fire flared to life.

"Lucky?" I said, repeating my words again.

This time, Daios turned his head to look at me, lifting one of his perfectly sculpted brows as he glared at me with distaste.

Daring me to continue.

But I was already getting angry, no longer caring whether or not my choice of words would get me in trouble, or worse.

My situation couldn't possibly become any worse, I told myself.

"I have been on the run for weeks," I sneered, pushing my chair back with a loud creaking sound before pushing the plate away as well, leaning forward on the table as I glared daggers at Daios.

"I have been starving, freezing, scared, hurt, and on the run for weeks," I said, raising my voice more and more as the words slipped past my lips.

"Nothing about my situation has been lucky, you freak. All thanks to you."

"You took everything from me," I spat, leaning closer to the man at the end of the table, "And now here you are, sitting in a seat that you will never be worthy enough to even look at," I leaned even closer.

"By a table where no one except my family and friends should be eating, in the palace of my ancestors that you forced your way into, looking completely unfazed, not a single shred of guilt or remorse in your eyes."

I had barely finished talking when those same exact eyes turned cold, flashing dangerously as Daios put down the knife that he had been holding.

"Lucky," I huffed, rolling my eyes as I pushed back in order to stand up.

"You're lucky I have had other things on my mind, or you wouldn't even be breathing right now," I said.

And then I walked off.

I was making my way back to my room when I suddenly changed my mind, the strong waves of anger continuously washing over me fueling me to make a rash decision.

Before giving it any further thought, I stormed down the winding stairways and hallways, nearly tripping in the turns as the plush carpet underneath my feet skidded across the marbled floor.

I headed straight for the front gate.

There was no reason to stay here, I told myself.

I needed some fresh air, though the storm outside probably wouldn't make me feel any better.

But it made me comfortable to be in the palace, not able to do anything else but watch as Daios had turned what used to be my childhood home into an empty shell.

A ghost of what it used to be.

Everything was exactly where it had always been, where I had left it, but at the same time, nothing was the same anymore.

I could practically taste the freedom as I got closer and closer to the gate, watching with anticipation as the courtyard outside the palace became clearer.

And then the door slammed shut, making me jump back in fear as the solid wooden gate barely missed my face, ruffling my hair as it moved past me.

I was too shocked to move for a couple of seconds, but when I finally walked closer, I found that the door was locked, not budging despite how hard I was pulling at the handle.