056

"Daios knows about the prophecy," Taeyong said, the entire group's attention fixed on him as everyone had sat back down by the big table in the middle of the red tent.

The cold night was quiet and the camp outside had long fallen asleep, hundreds upon hundreds of soldiers sleeping peacefully.

Blissfully unaware of the information being shared in the flickering light from the candles on the table.

Not knowing whether or not tonight would be their last comfortable sleep in weeks or maybe months.

Or their last one ever.

It was only us, the generals, the traitor, and the secrets we were about to share underneath the dark, starless sky.

"What prophecy?" Wooyoung asked, sitting up a little straighter in his chair as he eyed the fire elemental in front of us with confusion in his handsome features.

"Wait- none of you know about it?" Taeyong asked.

He turned to look at Yoongi, the two apparently forgetting about the feud that had only minutes ago as they exchanged a series of looks, communicating silently.

Namjoon cleared his throat, interrupting their staring as he turned to me with a worried look.

"The Santua Prophecy," he explained, "The Holy Prophecy. It's as ancient as The Source of Iseda, as ancient as Avalon itself."

"Many elementals in the provinces know about it," Jeongguk said, "It's a prediction, a prophecy of Avalon's future, about its end."

I shivered involuntarily as the words slipped past the water elemental's lips, looking over at the rest of the group to see if they knew anything, if the name brought back any memories.

But Wooyoung and Yeosang simply shook their heads.

Mingi and Jongho looked more confused than anything.

Yunho's eyes were empty, tired, and just as bewildered as they had been moments ago, no recognition within their ocean blue depths to be found.

Hongjoong and Seongwha turned to me as well, both looking as worried as I felt.

"Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice."

Taeyong recited the prophecy perfectly.

His deep voice rang out through the silent tent as those beautiful words of doom and destruction, of hate and dangerous desire promising to end the world as we knew it, slipped past his lips.