EPILOGUE: END OF THE BEGINNING

I leaned against the windowsill, the marble beneath my hands slowly heating us as the morning sun climbed higher and higher in the purple sky, letting out a sigh of relief at the lack of thunderclouds and storms in the distance.

Today, unlike months ago, the air smelled warm; like summer, happy memories, long days, and warm nights. It was loaded with excitement and happiness from the capital below which was already bustling with people getting ready for the festivities.

Today was going to be a good day. A better day.

I stood back up, pushing away from the window and turning my back to the sun as I brushed off my hands and smoothed down my dress.

The maids no longer had to force me into outfits like this one, though I still preferred practical clothes when heading out with the others. But today was a special day, and the dress was a part of it.

Soft, velvety fabric flowed smoothly from the waist and down into an elegant and full skirt, white at the top and red at the bottom that looked like flames licking their way up the material, making it change colours from crimson to pink to crisp white at it climbed toward my waist.

The top was decorated with golden details, gems, and embroidery that glinted and shone as it caught the light from the chandeliers and candelabras along the walls, letting small patches of red and white lights dance on the walls as I walked.

They looked like sparks and snowflakes, and I loved it.

The chest was open, much like it had been back then, but not too revealing, and from the shoulders and up, a collar rose up the side of my neck, leading down to two long sleeves that fell all the way to the floor, matching the skirt and flowing almost cape-like behind me as I moved.

The mix of the deep red and snow-white colours of the fabric was my favourite feature, though, as it matched perfectly with my crimson and grey eyes-

It was a symbol of my powers, my family, and my heritage.

But also of my heart, and who it belonged to.

Another reason why today was special.

A knock on the door made me turn around, and as one of the servants' heads poked through the slightly open door, I felt a surge of nervousness rush through my entire body.

"Your highness," she said, walking in and bowing at me before continuing, "It's time."

And so, with one last look back through the decorative glass panes of the window, the bright sun shining through in long streaks of light, I smiled, reminding myself just how far I had come for this day to happen before I followed her out of the room.

Walking through the palace was nerve-racking nonetheless, and I couldn't help but squirm underneath the expectant and excited looks that the maids, servants, and guards sent my way as I passed them in the hallways, heading toward the familiar destination.

When the doors of the throne room finally swung open, a hushed silence fell over the entire crowd that had gathered inside.

Townspeople and royals alike, elementals from every district, the princes, lords, and generals from the provinces, and most importantly, my friends.

Today, none of the people who turned to look at me were unfamiliar.

Today, after all that we had been through together, they were my family.

I took a shaky breath, feeling a little reassured as the royal musicians began their fanfare, raising their trumpets and other wind musical instruments into the air and sending out beautiful melodies into the room.