004

Lake Kioo was truly a beautiful sight, I thought, letting my heavy bag fall off my shoulder as I sat down beside Wooyoung by the edge of the water.

The surface was calm, glistening, and glittering as the crescent sun let its bright rays of light reflect in the surface, creating patterns of light that looked almost diamond-like at the top.

Across from us, on the other side of the lake's shore, a tall cliff stretched toward the clear purple sky, letting water from the lakes higher up in the district pour their clear water down its side in an impressively beautiful waterfall.

We spent hours searching the surrounding trees, hills, caves, and smaller lakes, but we found nothing that could even come close to a clue about The Sapphire of Amanzi's whereabouts.

I let out a frustrated sigh as I looked up at the purple sky with a sinking feeling in my stomach.

The sun was starting to go down, its crescent shape hanging much lower and closer to the mountains in the distance than it had when we arrived.

"This is hopeless," I mumbled, raking my fingers through my hair, only to jump a little at the sudden sound of splashing nearby.

Wooyoung really was a ray of sunshine, I thought, holding back a laugh as I looked at the pink-haired man splashing around in the lake.

"That Yunho guy was a dick anyway," Wooyoung said, "But just because it might all have been a lie doesn't mean than we can't enjoy the moment a little.

He threw a small ball of fire in my direction which I easily dodged, my smile only growing at his childish antics.

I pulled off my boots with a laugh, leaving them behind with my bag on the shore as I dashed into the water as well, enjoying the cold, soothing feeling of the water against my warm skin.

And so, we laughed and swam around in the lake, enjoying each other's company as the day slowly ran out and afternoon took over.

I had to admit that it was nice, though. Basking in a moment, if only a short one, of carelessness where we could simply be young and free.

But that was only until I turned my attention back to the waterfall and noticed the way the sun's reflection in the falling water seemed to have changed as its position in the sky had done so as well.

Earlier in the day, the waterfall had been brightly lit and crisp white against the rough stone wall behind it, but now, it seemed to be almost seethrough as the last sunrays of the day shone their lazy afternoon light on it.

I swam over, holding a hand in front of my eyes to shield it from the foam and spray as the vast amounts of water rushed down the side of the cliff.

I could hear Wooyoung calling my name from somewhere behind me, but his voice seemed far away, and my curiousness got the best of me as I took a deep breath and dove underneath the water.

When I resurfaced, I couldn't help but let out a gasp at the sight in front of me. A big cavern was hidden behind the waterfall, its walls stretching up to the ceiling that was so high up that I couldn't even grasp the size of the cave.

Light streamed in from somewhere above me, shining down on a structure in the distance.

I swam towards it, feeling more excited, more sure by the second that I was moving in the right direction.

I stepped out of the water onto an old stairway and looked down at my soaking wet clothes. I was completely drenched, and a small puddle was already forming by my feet.

"y/n!" Wooyoung spluttered, coming into view right by the waterfall, "What the hell? Wait for me, will you?"

I helped pull him up on the steps as well, summoning a small ball of fire in my hand before letting it grow big enough for it to warm both Wooyoung and me.