An Important Letter from the Author

Dear Reader,

Before you delve into this story, I would like to bring attention to an issue that many stories, including this one, perpetrates: white-centering.

According to author Layla F. Saad in her book Me and White Supremacy, "White centering is the centering of white people, white values, white norms and white feelings over everything and everyone else."

I know now that white-centering is not okay. This book was written when I was much younger and had no idea how influenced I was by white supremacy. Reflecting back now, I can see how damaging white-centering has been on my self-esteem, biases, and relationships. However, now that I am more educated, it is my responsibility to do better so that other young adults understand that this is not right.

A white person is the main character of this book and all or almost all of the characters in this book are white. If there is a BIPOC character, they are not as central or well-developed as the white characters. We focus on the white characters and their struggles, putting any BIPOC on the back burner. This is absolutely unacceptable and I deeply apologize for being a part of the problem. BIPOC characters should be more than their stereotypes and represent the complex, dynamic, three dimensional people we all are. Their stories are important.

I debated a long time if I should take this story down. Ultimately, I am choosing to leave it up as an example for what not to do as a writer and a creator. As you read this novel, please keep in the back of your mind the white-centering that this novel reinforces and the harmful effects it can have on minority communities. This novel is by no means a representation of how I see the world now or who is important in the world, use this as a way to reflect on yourself as a creator and person in this world. I challenge all writers who have published books similar to this one to reach beyond the box of white supremacy and tell other stories.

My new story "When We Were Young" centers around an Asian-Canadian girl. As I continue to learn more about anti racism and writing, I will do my best to have this story and future stories represent all the rich, inspiring, beautiful people around me.

Thank you for going on this journey with me as I make mistakes, learn, and grow. If you are ever uncomfortable or offended by one of my works, please sent me a message as I would so appreciate the opportunity to learn.

Best,

Lindsey