Chapter 8: What I Deserve

Chapter Eight: What I Deserve

I would literally rather shove my head into a toilet than do this. That's probably more fun than being a cheerleader.

I take my time getting to the gym for tryouts. As I predicted, half of the girls in the school came to tryout. Including Ella.

She catches my eye just long enough to send imaginary daggers at my face. I catch them and shoot them straight back, hopefully hitting her face, but anywhere else will do too. Sadly these daggers are imaginary and don't make a dent in her face full of makeup. That's when I notice Miller rubbing her shoulders?

"One-sided much?" I mutter to myself.

Ashley's booming voice on the loudspeaker catches my attention, "Hello everyone! I'm ecstatic that all of you showed up! There has been an accident with Lacey, the captain that all of you must've heard of. Truly devastating, but she'll heal. On the brighter note, we will be searching for a new cheerleading captain. We need someone that is not only flexible, but also has lots of spirit? So who's ready to get out there and have some fun!"

The whole gym cheers, except me. They're not lacking in the spirit department, but I'm worried about their flexibility skills.

How it works is Ashley calls each girl, one by one, to the middle of the gym to perform in front of everyone. I'm startng to not regret coming here because it's honestly hilarious watching the popular girls who think their flexible land on their faces over and over again.

"Caitlin Mays," Ashley's voice sounds perkier by the minute.

A murmur starts going around the gym. Everyone is wondering why I'm here. I've stayed so low in the social ladder that no one knows anything about me. That is, besides Ella. Everyone else thinks I'll fall on my ass just like those other girls that are in the nurses' office are.

My heart is thumping against my chest as I stand in the middle of the gym. Eyes are trained on me, prepared to laugh and wondering why the clumsiest girl at school would come to do such a graceful sport.

My routine is the one I have perfected thanks to dance class. I've been doing it for every competition since I was fourteen. If this doesn't beat Ella's performance than I officially give up on life.

"Wow," Ashley joins in on the wide range of clapping around the gym.

I stand up from my bridge position and look around the gym. Everyone is cheering. It's amazing. There are even a few standing ovations. My eyes stop on Ella. She's staring blankly at me with her arms crossed over her chest.

Not letting her ruin the one moment that I have that is not consumed with me being in someone's shadow. Hey, even Miller is clapping.

Wait no. I don't care about Miller anymore. He's dating the devil.

As I walk up the bleachers to my spot, people tell me that I'm sure to be picked, they give me high fives, they yell my name!

Now I know what I have been missing, being Ella's friend. She has been nice enough to me, but she always manages to take my spotlight. I remember once in sixth grade, I got the main part in the school's musical, but Ella had to ruin it by convincing me that someone else deserved that part and by 'someone else' she means herself. How stupid was I?

After Ashley returns the attention back to her, she calls Ella. Ella must've requested it. She's the only person that may be able to top my performance.

While Ella does a few quick stretches, I find Miller sitting himself next to me.

"Are you avoiding me?" he presses his palms against the metal of the bleachers.