Chapter 23: Aftermath of the Heartbreak

Swearing is not my forte, so I don't do it. However, in more than one situation in life, it's a huge help.

Tomorrow school begins again and Christmas decorations are put into their boxes again. My least favourite say for many reasons.

"But who would hate you enough to ruin your relationship that much?"

Carter sits opposite from me at the end of our bed. I look at him above my glasses and pause from reading my book. He's been the supportive one, surprisingly. He always stormed mom and dad(especially mom) out for me and ate meals with me so that I didn't have to alone because I sure as hell am not going to eat with my evil mother anytime soon. I can't forget how he never asks me any question and only finds stuff out when I voluntarily tell him.

Oh and Miller never came by.

What a coward; afraid to show that he was wrong and owes me a huge apology. I won't accept it, but maybe I'll stop slumping around.

Once I got home, the others followed quickly out of worry. Instead of a wonderful holiday, they speant all their time tranferring between flight in crowded airports worrying about me because I wouldn't pick up my phone. I'm beating myself up for doing this to my friends, of course.

"Maybe it's the girl you're kissing," I tell him bitterly and immediately regretting it after it comes out. He scowls, but softens quickly. Handing me the mug of hot chocolate, he says, "No one would believe you were best friends. She's not that bad, you know? If she was, I wouldn't still be with her."

I take a sip from my reindeer cup and immediately burn my lip. My emotions fire up and I want to cry all over again, but I swallow it down. As for Carter and Ella, he's right. Carter doesn't date girls that are particularly mean. At least not to him. In other words, the only person Ella is being an ass to is me. No big surprise there.

Placing my mug onto my night stand, I look curiously at my brother. I really wish we had twin telepathy because I need to know how he is. In the end, he's not that horrible of a sibling. He might not be the kind that would break up with the love of his life if she is mean to their sister, but he is very honorable in a way. For one, I don't think I could deal with an Ella on my arm every single day.

Without warning, my reindeer cup hits the ground and the hot chocolate spills all over my polished hardwood floors. Sigh. And that was my favorite cup too. I must've not put it fully on the stand.

Carter is fast to react with swearng. I bury my head into the blankets, knowing that he's just about done with me. It was already hard enough for him to care after me post the whole swing incident and he gets annoyed quite easily, so you don't need a genius to know that he's wishing to go to hell right now. I take a peek out of the covers and find Carter cleaning up the mess with his shirt. What an uncomfortable sight, seeing your brother shirtless.

I put my head back under and maybe whimper because Carter chuckles lightly. "Cait, I'm your brother for God's sake. You've seen me shirtless countless amount of times! We even were naked together in the womb! Hell, you probably have even saw my balls before!"

LET ME GET THE RECORD STRAIGHT HERE... I HAVE NEVER SEEN MY BROTHER'S BALLS AND I WISH TO NEVER.

"Carter! That is so gross!" I pop my head out of the covers and throw one of my stuffies at the boy. Why are all males always talking about things so sexually? He starts scrubbing at the ground again and instantly becomes depressed. "You know that all this is not fair for me, right?" His fingers gesture in a circle. "I never asked mom or Miller to write that contract, so me, literally cleaning up their mess is not fair but I do it."

Even though Carter can be a butt, he is always still my brother whether I want it or not. I hate seeing him sad like this. I hate it. And he hates it when I'm unhappy. "Then why are you doing this?"