Chapter 10: Talk About Humiliation

Chapter Ten: Talk About Humiliation

"You nervous?" Miller takes my hand and I am tempted to pull it away when my brain reminds me that we're in public eye and this is what we must do.

Yesterday, Miller broke up with Ella and told her that he became interested in another girl. I heard that she cried and tried to strangle him. He should've gotten it on video, it would've gone viral.

Tossing my hair back and forcing myself to grin, I shrug, "Yeah, it's now or never, right?"

"That's my girl," he ruffles my hair from the top and smirks. I slap his hand away, but can't help smiling for real this time, "Don't push it, Woods." I'm trying to act cool, but you could basically hear me blushing thanks to Miller's comment.

Usually, when new couples come in, the school is all light-headed about it. They ask stupid questions about how they got together, have they slept together yet, do they love each other, and it makes them sound like they're questioning about someone's murder, but instead of an investigator, it's a drunk teen. I usually just stay out of the new couple's way and try not to eavesdrop while they are enjoying their attention.

Even before we enter the school, there are already people spinning their heads around in our direction.

"Oh my gosh, who's that chick holding Miller's hand?"

"How did you become so under the rock? Ugh, she's Caitlin Mays, the girl's whose cousin cheated for her a few days ago at the cheer off?"

"I thought Miller was dating Ella Anderson though?"

"They broke up last night dumbass. You need to check Facebook! Ella clearly changed her relationship status to 'Available'. The fuck is wrong with you?"

It's even worst when we get into the school. The conversations repeat themselves over and over, I think I may need earplugs just to live through this day. Miller keeps rubbing my back, which I am not sure if it's to calm me or just part of the act. 

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket and it's a text from Carter, who seems to have heard the news. What the hell CaitI look at my entwined hands with Miller and type a quick and innocent reply. What?

We stop at my locker first so that I can gather my books for first period, but I feel guilty about it the whole time because Miller's probably going to be late for class. "You can go if you want."

"You haven't done this much, have you?" he looks down at the ground and shakes  his head with a chuckle, "What kind of boyfriend would I be if I let my girlfriend just travel alone in the hallways?"

Boyfriend; the ultimate word. I swear, every single head around us turned to us when that word came out of his mouth. It even takes me a second before I can register what he has said. I can't move until I remind myself that it's all fake.

With a light tone, I push Miller's shoulder, "A normal one?"

As Miller opens his mouth to retort, an icy tone stops him, "Hello." Both of us glare at the blonde freak standing in front of us with her arms crossed over her flat chest and a smirk playing on her lips over and over again.

This is definitely not the reaction I expected. She should be screaming, or at least crying at the sight of us. That's when I see the finger rubbing. Yes, Ella is rubbing her fingers together and have been her best friend for so long, I know what this means. Ella Anderson is mad. Ha, not mad more like steaming. Wait until smoke comes out of her ears.

"Morning Ella!" I chirp a bit too happily, but just enough to convince the people around me that I'm nothing but a little girl in love. Miller's tone is perfect for the boy talking to his ex-girlfriend character he is playing, "Well, Cait and I should be getting to class."