Chapter XL

The days that followed consisted of being fawned over by my friends and Cain constantly on my ass. Every five minutes he was asking if I was feeling alright. If I needed something. As much as I loved him, he was really starting to grate on my freaking nerves. The girls would just giggle every time I ground out my answer through gritted teeth. The guys, well they just sat back and made whipping sounds. 

“Baby...” Cain began 

“I swear if you ask me if I am alright or if I need something one more time, I’m going to scream” I snapped 

Cain back up with palms facing forward. “I was just going to say that we have to get going. You have an appointment to get to.” he chuckled 

I huffed “Right,” Now I felt like a bitch, even if it needed to be said. “In my defense though, I would’ve said the same thing had you asked me the same question for the millionth time.”

Cain just chuckled behind me as I grabbed a coat and walked out of our dorm. Today is was just going to be Cain and I. I didn’t know why we had wait to go back to see the doc. I figured we would have gone right after everything happened the other night. That obviously didn’t happen though. It didn’t really matter to me though, I already knew that once we went back to see Lucy she would realize the same thing that we had. I was having a baby. The only thing that really needed to be done was figuring out why we hadn’t been able to find out in the first place. 

“What do you think she’s going to say?” I asked 

“I’m not really sure,” Cain shrugged 

“There has to be a reason why all the tests were inconclusive and nothing showed up.” I said 

“I know there is and we’re going to find out the reason why today.” he said as he grabbed my hand and placed a kiss to the back of it. 

We rode in comfortable silence during the rest of the drive to the pack grounds. I watched as the trees zoomed past, all covered in a layer of beautiful white snow. I had yet to be able to just be out in the open and enjoy the falling of the snow. After my appointment it was going to be the first thing that I was going to do. 

The pack house came into view and Cain pulled up in front. I was a little nervous to go on in. Don’t ask why. We both knew that Lucy would indeed tell us that we were having a child. A child that had somehow protected his or herself from the stab wound that I had sustained. A child that had somehow shielded it’s presence from blood work and ultra sounds. It just wasn’t possible. Well, apparently it was since Cain, Mana and myself had all heard the heart beat. There was no way that it had been a coincidence. 

“It’s going to be okay you know,” Cain murmured beside me. 

“I know,” I nodded

“Let’s go on inside,” he said climbing out of the car

I followed after him and took his hand in mine as we walked up the front porch. Brent open the door before we even made it up the last step, with a smile on his face. He pulled me into a tight embrace before holing me out at arms length.

“It’s good to see you out and about,” he grinned

“It’s good to be out and about” I smiled, a small smile.