Eighteenth Endeavor: Mynpheal

.

(A/N: Trigger warning: mentions of rape/non-con and some gore.

"Rain hell, rain it on top of me.")

-

Southern District of Lilpres; Mynpheal, 21XO

"One day, I want to be as free as the birds that soar in the sky."

Stormy eyes glanced over to a young woman sprawled out underneath the ocean blue sky, her back cushioned by the plush green carpet that caressed the hills surrounding her. Like the grass, the woman's irises shone like the dew-covered blades, hints of the golden sun captured in her vibrant eyes. It took her a while to realize someone was staring at her, but when she did, a giggle escaped her lips and her head curved to meet their gaze.

"Wouldn't it feel wonderful, Levi?"

Levi broke the stare with the woman and looked back up at the sky, letting out a sigh as he closed his narrow eyes.

"Don't be silly, Naomi," he reprimanded as he leaned back and fell into the soft grass. "You're the dove, you already have wings and can be free anytime you want."

Again, Naomi laughed lightly and turned onto her side towards Levi. Her milk chocolate hair cupped her jawline while her bangs were braided off to the side in a sort of half circlet around her head. The strands were more illuminated in the light, Levi noticed, each one radiating the gentle glow of the midday sun.

"What about you, Levi?" Naomi inquired, her mossy eyes half-lidded as she stared at the raven-haired man. "You're the crow, are you not? You could fly too if you wanted to, so why don't you?"

Naomi was eighteen at the time, just on the cusp of turning nineteen. Levi watched her grow since an infant for years now, but he still couldn't shake her childlike wonder and fragile innocence. In a few months from now, she would be leaving for her first year at a university out in Ylurre, a district a few miles north of Lilpres. Seven years' prior, Levi graduated from the same university, juggled grad school and a job here and there afterwards, up until where he was currently, twenty-eight and a full time nurse.

Levi hummed in response to Naomi's question, then said, "I'm only free when I spend time like this with you."

Naomi sputtered out a nervous chuckle, her milky cheeks becoming a muted rose color. She raised a hand to her mouth and giggled, averting eye contact with the man who turned her heart into pudding whenever he tried to be sentimental. It wasn't in his nature to be caring or receptive, but Naomi was a special case.

"You speak to your cousin in such a way?" Naomi playfully chastised, a smile peeking through her fingers. "How immodest of you, Levi."

A very slight curl of the lips appeared on Levi's porcelain face. Smiles weren't plenty with him, unlike his happy-go-lucky cousin, who was practically sunshine and rainbows wherever she went. Even to complete strangers Naomi procured kind smiles and bobs of the head, despite her social standing in their culture. Her exuberance was known throughout the district, Levi liked to think, and her presence alone warmed the coldest of souls and unthawed the most frozen of hearts. She was perfection in his eyes, the exact opposite of himself.

"Crow's burden, I suppose," Levi answered, his hands folded behind his head as he stared at the cloudless sky above them. "The dove will always be the better half of this whole, you know how the story goes. I'm folly, and you are grace, just as fate prescribed it to be."