First Endeavor: Daze

Rain was like the beat of a drum, or a heartbeat inside one's rib cage. Rain was the gloomy water droplets that ebbed against the curvature of Earth, washing away human worries, and replacing them with an unknown, sentimental passion concerning the delicate substance known as life. Rain was the liquid that stored itself in clouds, then poured onto the streets, windows, and porches of homes and businesses.

Rain was necessary for humans, since it replenished and renewed other forms inhabiting Earth, like plants and animals. It filled lakes, it nurtured crops, it made humans feel an array of mixed emotions. Rain was a peculiar weather pattern, but a lovely one all the same.

The rain had constantly been whipping against the glass in a young woman's bedroom, the doomed colors contrasting with the pastel pinks and mint greens that adorned her sleeping chamber. The woman, who was snoozing on and off soundly in her bed, buried herself deeper in the fleecy comforters and silk sheets encircling her. A small, solar-powered trinket had ceased its bobbing movements since the evening prior, the faint clicking gone along with it.

The silver doorknob jiggled and twisted from someone opening it on the other side, a miniature bell hanging on the back of the wooden object chiming when a raven-haired male appeared from the slit in the archway. "Naomi," he cooed, pushing the door away from his medium frame and stepping into the feminine room entirely. "Naomi, c'mon, get up. It's a quarter to ten."

Groaning, the said female tossed in her entrapment of covers and onto her backside, hazel eyes flickering to view the muted scene outside her window. "Five more minutes, Levi," she mumbled, the blankets yanked up to her rounded nose.

"There won't be another five minutes," Levi scolded, crossing his toned arms across his semi-broad chest. "Breakfast is almost ready downstairs, and I'm not about to dump a cold meal in the trash because you wouldn't wake up."

"Does it look like I'm sleeping anymore?" giggled Naomi sarcastically, a smile curving her lips upwards and cheeks rubescent. "I'll meet you down in a few, unless you want to watch your dear cousin dress herself."

"I'm not a fucking sicko," Levi grumbled, proceeding to waltz out of the room and slam the door affectionately.

Grinning in a wicked manner, Naomi stretched in the confines of her bed, raising her arms behind her head and squinting as she heard the successful crack from her spine. Satisfied with her body's response, the brunette threw the sheets over her pajama-clad figure and clambered out of bed, the mattress creaking when she pressed her rear into it in order to hop onto the hardwood floor.

After rifling through her wardrobe and snatching a pair of beige capri pants, Naomi quickly traded her flannel nightwear for the other article of clothing, heading to the kitchen straight after. Yawning as she descended the narrow flight of stairs in the dwelling she shared with her scowl-faced relative, the aroma of eggs and various smoked meats filled the air, causing Naomi to virtually trip on the last step from the enticing scent.

The dining area had deliberately been setup in the kitchen adjacent to a wide, curtain-embellished window and opposite to the appliances. Levi, who was preoccupied with flipping an omelette in a frying pan, welcomed Naomi with a proper good morning when she trotted past the shorter male and plopped into an empty seat at the table. Naomi scanned the table for a certain rectangular item, while Levi finished up the egg dish he was working on and slid it onto an immaculate, white plate.

Beaming when she excavated the remote from a pile of recent newspapers, Naomi aimed the device at the television set on a low-bearing shelf diagonal to her sedentary position. The contraption clicked before the screen bore the image of a news reporter in the middle of discussing a recent event with a passerby. The sound came a few seconds later, a mixture between the reporter's contralto voice, the interviewee and the raging winds behind them.