Fifteenth Endeavor: Desolation

Outside the Eastern Perimeter Gates of Salge, Year 21XX

The incessant downpour had ceased when morning arrived, yet the monstrous aqueducts surrounding the gloomy district were nothing short of saturated. The colossal pillars stretched near the heavens, a plethora of waterfalls cascading down from the opened sections of the massive structure. The sound of dense, heavy water collided with the ground beneath, and years of the pounding liquid against the feeble flooring had created symmetrical rivers and ponds beneath the greco-romanesque utilities.

Two guards stationed at the western section of the district manned a hollow entrance leading into the city, both staring vacantly at the sight marching towards them. They glanced at one another, knitting their brows tightly as a group of three men halted their steps a meter or two before their outpost.

Dressed in similar military attire to the two soldiers, a male with lengthy, mahogany tresses unlaced his leather mask and pulled it down below his chin, revealing his smooth, creamy complexion. Fixing his silver-framed glasses, the official was none other than General Elijah Faust, his commanding, moonlit irises glaring straight at the unmoving sentries.

"I have been given direct orders from Commander Aeshma to inspect Salge," Elijah announced, his subordinates stoic as they listened to their superior's speech. "It would be in your best interest to allow us passage."

The guards spared each other an amused expression, a smug grin tugging at their lips underneath their identical masks. Although Elijah and his two subordinates were dressed keenly in similar military attire, there was always room for doubt when a man with stark mahogany hair trotted up and demanded his presence to go unwavered.

"Commander Aeshma, huh?" the first of the two soldiers mocked, his arms crossed in a defiant manner. "Luther, mind patting the man down for identification? Wanna make sure he ain't some disguised foreigner."

Luther, the second officer, nodded his head genially and muttered, "As you wish it, Lukas."

Pushing himself away from the iron-wrought entrance gates to Salge, Luther quirked an eyebrow at Elijah's statuesque demeanor. His sturdy, silver hues bore vapid holes into Luther's dimmed chocolate ones, a twist of contemplation and boredom veiled by the onyx twinkle shining across his naturally glossy eyes. Luther wasn't intimidated, really; being a gatekeeper, he was used to the insane folk that sporadically appeared before his beloved district from time to time.

He kept eye contact, analyzing Elijah with each scuffing step, with each exhale of his dense breath. Luther bit the inside of his bottom lip, treading risky waters whenever Elijah blinked his dark lashes, his predatory irises never faltering from their dull glower. It was remarkable, how poised and resolute Elijah was, even when stubborn officials cast suspicions even after his firm statement regarding his respected superior.

The sharp, clear sound of metal being sheathed resounded in the atmosphere, a multitude of gasps following the concise ring. The gleam of a curved sword shone under the morning rays of sunlight, its tip faintly and ever-so-slightly pressing underneath Luther's chin when he was deemed too close to Elijah. Furrowing his abnormal-colored brows, Elijah kept a steady grip on his weapon, the tassel connected to its hilt dangling softly from the chilling breeze.

"I would prefer it if you kept your disgusting hands to yourself," growled Elijah as he added a minuscule amount of pressure onto Luther's tanned flesh. "You do not need any verification other than an oral decree from me, do you understand? If I stated I was sent by Commander Aeshma to inspect Salge, then I was sent by Commander Aeshma to inspect Salge, no complaints! I will not stand here and be chagrined or made a fool of!"