Sixth Endeavor: Touch

"You look unwell, Naomi."

Levi, whose assumptions of his fellow peers was abnormally flawless, never ceased to amaze his younger cousin. Although, unwell was an understatement from Naomi's perspective, but she cast that notion aside, rather responding with a compassionate smile concerning the raven-haired male's fretting over her.

"So you've noticed too?" the brunette inquired, squirming in a blanket she had cocooned herself in on the parlor room settee. "I can't fathom my reasoning behind it, Levi. It feels as though I haven't slept in days, weeks. I am unnaturally sluggish, and I am certain this isn't the effect of . . . Well, by now, you should understand what I am trying to convey."

Indeed, Levi did, but he chose not to extend that thought. "You've been holed up in the office for what seems like an eternity," he acknowledged, pacing around the perimeter of the couch before taking a seat beside Naomi. "On numerous occasions, you refused to eat whenever something was ready . . . Of course, you were bound to get sick from the stress you were putting on your body."

"Erwin has been somewhat uncouth lately," Naomi explained, tugging the fleece covers across her chest in an attempt to conserve her rapidly depleting heat. "My intent was to research ways I could assist him in becoming neutral to us again, but recent times show a decreased rate in activity and participation. He practically turns his nose whenever I offer him his journal, so I've been forced to let him keep it with him, in hopes he would attempt to speak with me again . . . Something must be troubling him."

"That's what you're worried about?" Levi queried a tad insensitively. Reaching out and grasping one of Naomi's hands from underneath her blanket, the older male continued, "My dear, I understand you have invested a generous amount of time with our little house guest, however, I believe you should comprehend the fact that Erwin is a ruthless demon, no matter the instances he's proved himself worthy of change."

Naomi squeezed her cousin's hand aggressively, earning a constrained yelp and tittering from Levi. 

"Why is it that you hold little to no faith in him?" she questioned, her grip tightening and loosening at inconsistent intervals. "He is capable of altering his destiny, I have perceived this multiple times when I have communicated with him. He enjoys my company, and is extremely respectful when I venture downstairs, it's just . . . As of late, he is showing signs of distrust, and negligence towards me. I am fearful he is pandering to his forgotten mindset once more."

"Forgotten mindset?" Levi intended to clarify, slipping his hand out of Naomi's in order to cup it more gently.

"Haven't you noticed from my documentation logs? Erwin displays bizarre traits, ones that would not correlate with the vast years he has spent prowling and living among humans." 

Inhaling a solemn breath, Naomi shed the insulated cover from her shoulders, revealing the plain tank top she wore that was two sizes bigger than her—it was most likely her cousin's, but the blue-eyed male had no complaints with the attire. "If you don't believe me, leaf through my work; you should be convinced with the proof I have witnessed and scribed."

Humming in hesitation, Levi drew his touch away from Naomi and grabbed one of the various notebooks scattered across the coffee table. Each one was labeled according to Erwin's diverse set of characteristics, and it was obvious Levi had chosen the bound journal labeled, "Behavior" in Naomi's thick-lettered, cursive handwriting.

As Levi flipped the crisp pages in search for the present week's patterns, Naomi yawned and tilted her upper half closer to her occupied relative, resting her head vacantly on his shoulder. Levi paid no attention to Naomi's actions, and proceeded to skim through the dash-lined information and mental reminders for future references.