Chapter 37 ~ Like Candy?

I squinted my eyes, the light from the window blinding me. I reached over for El, hoping to cuddle, but to my dismay, she was no longer in bed. I sat up immediately, looking around the living room for her. Just then, I saw her sitting by herself at the kitchen table, drinking a glass of water.
     I stretch, stand, and stretch some more, before walking up behind her and gently hugging her, giving the side of her head a kiss and then sitting down next to her. She had startled a bit at my touch, but was now grinning down at her glass of water, her cheeks flushed red. She's literally the most adorable creature. What the fuck.
"Morning Ellie," I smile warmly.
El looks up at me with her bright eyes. "Good morning, Maxie."
"Have you had any breakfast yet?" I ask.
     "No. I was thinking we could go out to the diner, because you just got back," she replied.
     I can't help but smile yet again. My mouth is going to have fallen off by the end of the hour at this rate. "That's sweet."
     "Sweet? Like candy?" I can't help but giggle; she's just too cute. I quickly shut up though, because I can tell she's confused.
     "Mike never called you sweet? What an asshole. S-W-E-E-T. It means that you're thoughtful and kind," I explain.
     "Oh." Her cheeks become a light shade of pink, which is of course the cutest.
     Getting an idea, I stand, grabbing her hand, and say, "Cmon." She lets me drag her to her room, where I search through her records until I find the one I want. Eleven looks over my shoulder, and because I'm an ass, I exclaim, "No peeking!" She gasps and puts her hands over her eyes.
     "Sorry!" She lets out.
     My god, she's adorable. I'll never get over it.
     I gently set Madonna's "Like A Virgin" record onto the record player and get it started up, already grinning. I crank up the volume and gently take hold of El's wrists, moving her hands away from her eyes just as Material Girl, our favorite song, begins. Her eyes sparkle and the biggest smile takes over her face.
     I begin to dance with her, jumping about like an idiot and spinning her around. She lets out a gleeful laugh, which makes my smile grow even wider. She stumbles over her own feet each time I spin her, which means that each time I have to catch or steady her. She's laughing her face off, and so am I. I look over at her dresser and find a hairbrush sitting on it. Just what I was looking for. I grab it and bring it between our faces just as the chorus begins, and we both sing along, breathing heavily but refusing to stop. I spin her a couple more times before the chorus ends, and El responds to this by jumping up and clinging to me. Startled by this, I stumble backwards and fall.
     "Oh my gosh, are you ok?" Eleven panics. Her worry comes to a fast halt when I start laughing. She gives me a look for a couple seconds before becoming lost in the void of laughter with me. She's still lying on top of me, so I take the opportunity to wrap my arms around the back of her neck and kiss her. She pulls away for a second and laughs again, before kissing me a few more times and then rolling off of me. We laid side by side for what felt like hours, laughing so hard that we cried.
     By now, Madonna's Angel was playing. Suddenly, Dustin barges into the bedroom, pausing before giving us a look that said "what the fuck is wrong with you two?" We glanced at each other for a second before bursting out laughing, to which Dustin responded by rolling his eyes and shouting, "Guys, I think they're fucking high!" This only made me laugh harder, but I desperately shushed him, not wanting Joyce to think that we actually were. My absolute failure of that task had Eleven sent. "What the actual hell is wrong with you guys??"
     Between my laughing, I airily exclaimed, "I'm gonna die." Dustin began to chuckle.
     "Dustin, no!" Eleven gasped. Ok, this is getting out of hand. I covered my face with my hands, refusing to look at anyone or anything until I'd stopped laughing. El must've done the same, because she had also stopped laughing. When I peeked out from behind my hands, I saw the entire party(minus Mike) standing in the doorway, staring at us. Eleven was now sitting up, so I sat up too. They were all just staring. They looked completely mortified. I tried and failed to suppress a chuckle, which quickly lead to me beginning to laugh all over again. "Max, not again!" Eleven cried exasperatedly, which only caused me to laugh harder.
     She surprised me by leaning towards me and kissing me until I stopped giggling.
     "Ugh, get a room!" Dustin exclaimed, turning and walking out of the room.
     "Gross," Lucas said, following behind him.
     "Awwww, how cute," Will smiled. El pulled away and shot him a look, but I couldn't help but smile at him. "Right, I'm leaving, sorry. As you were," he stuttered awkwardly. I giggled and turned back to Eleven, kissing her a few more times before standing.
     She frowned as I did so, which caused me to chuckle again. "Later, Ellie. Off to the diner?"
     "Yeah, ok. I wanna stay in my pjs, will you too?"
     I smiled. "Sure, El. Sounds good. Let's go tell the boys." She nodded, returned the smile, and reached for my hand, which I gladly took.

Ok besties- that's the end! Thank you so so so much for all the support on this book, it's been absolutely wild and totally overwhelming. I seriously couldn't thank you enough. You guys are all awesome, I love you sm, and thank you for reading this far. I hope you all enjoyed this story, even if I did torture poor Max quite a bit 😭 happy ending tho! We love those. Ok. Thank you all, really. Feel free to message me any time you need or want to, I'm always down to talk to any of you about anything and I only have like one friend, so I'd be more than happy to start talking to any of you about whatever you want. Y'all are pretty awesome, so like... hmu if you wanna. Ok, thank you again for reading this far! Thank you thank you thank you!
(FUTURE EIGHT AGAIN 🙏 if u message me and i don't respond for a while, it's bc i don't use this app a whole lot anymore- 🧍 sorry besties 🧍 i WILL respond eventually tho and i'm happy to talk :))

And that's all, thank you guys so so much for the unending support. Love you guys lots, see you later! <3

word count: 1137

-eight