Chapter 32 ~ She Will Be

I was packing everything up. All my clothes, games, all of it. I was going to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow. Tomorrow!
     Cameron and Violet were helping me. There really wasn't much to pack, and I didn't need help, but we wanted to spend every last minute together; the doctor had even agreed to let us have a sleepover in my room tonight.
     "I still can't believe you're leaving," Cameron let out, sadness tinging his voice.
     "I know," I agreed. "I'll miss you guys." I looked up at them both. We all exchanged glances, and I put on a sad smile. As excited as I was to get out of here and see El and the rest of the party, I really was sad to be leaving these guys behind. They were my safe haven here; they totally saved my ass. "I don't know what I would've done without you guys."
     "I think you could've packed this up by yourself; we're not that helpful," Cameron spoke. Vi and I exchanged glances and laughed.
     "No, I meant in general. I would have been so lonely," I told them.
     "Oh," Cameron said, slightly flustered. I giggled.
     "We can still see each other, though. You guys said you go to my school, right?"
     "Yup!" Violet chirped, grinning. "Thank god. I can't just be friends with Cameron forever," she joked.
     "Hey!" He argued, hiding a smile.
     "You guys are totally joining the party. They'll love you." I wasn't sure about that last bit, but hopefully Mike wouldn't be so much of an ass since they wouldn't be "replacing" anybody.
     "That would be awesome," Cameron said, Violet nodding in agreement.
     "Oh, and I can't forget to get your guys' numbers," I reminded them.
     "Oh yeah! Let's do that now," Cameron exclaimed. He dug around the room until he found a pen and a piece of lined paper. He scribbled his number down, wrote his name above it, and handed the piece of paper to Violet, who did the same. She smiled and handed it to me. I returned the gesture, grabbed the piece of paper, and shoved it into my pocket as not to lose it.

Later
Cameron and Violet were in their pajamas, chilling in my room. We'd been talking for a while, but I suddenly remembered what I had to do. "Hey, guys, I need to get ahold of Lucas real quick," I told them, reaching for my walkie and switching it on. They both nodded as they watched me work the device. I held down the side button. "Earth to Lucas, do you copy? Over." I waited a minute or so, exchanging short glances with my friends every now and then.
     All of a sudden, a crackle came from the radio and Lucas' voice sounded over the speaker. "Hey, Madmax, what's up? Over." In my excitement, I'd completely forgotten to tell Lucas about the rest of my plan.
     "So you know how I'm coming home tomorrow? Over."
"Why do you keep saying over?" Violet asked.
"Shhhh!" Cameron and I both shushed her together. She rolled her eyes, but obliged.
"Yeah. What about it? Over."
"El doesn't know, right? Like I asked? Over."
"Yup. She doesn't have a clue. She knows about the sleepover, but she doesn't know you're gonna be there or show up at her house or anything. But I was dying to tell her, and I mean dying. She really misses you, Max. Over." I smiled to myself. Violet wiggled her eyebrows at her while Cameron slapped my knee gently with the back of his hand, grinning. I playfully kicked Violet, who let out a dramatic "ow!". It was my turn to roll my eyes.
     "Well, I want you to get Joyce and Will out of the house. And no, before you say anything weird, I just wanna talk with her in private. Please? Over." I knew Will would understand, since he'd caught us. I know he'd wanna do the same for Mike.
     "Um, yeah, sure Madmax, I'll do my best. Over," he agreed.
     "Yes! Thank you, Lucas, thank you so much! You're the best. Over"
     "No problem. Over and out." I grinned as I switched off the device, laying back onto the bed and staring up at the ceiling.
     "What do you have planned?" Violet asked curiously, raising her eyebrows. I laughed.
     "I just wanna be able to talk with her without anybody butting in or anything. And I want her to be really surprised. Or, I mean, I hope she'll be surprised and excited to-"
     "-she will be-"
     "-and I just don't wanna be conscious of my every move. I just need to be there for her. Nobody else knows about us, you know. Other then Will, I guess. Even though we aren't really a thing. Guys, I'm so excited."
     "We're excited for you!" Cameron beamed.
     "Thanks. You guys really are the best. Thank you."
     "Awwwhh, is Firecracker going soft?" Vi teased. I shook my head, smiling.
     "I really am gonna miss you guys though," I mumbled.
     "We know, Max. You don't have to feel bad. We'll miss you, too, but we'll both be out sooner or later. I'm happy for you," Cameron responded, looking down at his lap.
     "Yeah," is all I could think to say. I didn't want to be annoying by thanking them again.

Later(yes, again)
     Now that everything was packed, my friends and I just sat, talking. I'd told them all about my plan with El; how I was going to show up without her having any clue that I was doing so, and they'd approved. They knew well how much I loved her, and were fully convinced that she loved me just as much. Cameron thought what I had planned was, and I quote, "adorable." Now, though, we were talking aimlessly.
     We sort of jumped from topic to topic, each of us letting the others in on a bit of their life, both the good and the bad. One person would relate to another, and the subject would slowly morph. Not that I cared; I fully trusted my friends, and I'd basically told them everything. They'd done the same. We all had a mutual trust for one another, and being able to open up about whatever I pleased and knowing that I wasn't bothering them was heavenly. Plus, I knew they would never judge me. For anything. It was so refreshing.
     We were up until late hours of the night before Violet finally convinced us that we should be getting to bed. Yeah, she's the mom friend. Always making sure we were fed, and if we weren't, getting food for us. Always protecting us from everything she could, and getting frustrated when she couldn't. Always making sure that we're ok, and if we aren't, you'd better damn believe that she's going to make you ok. I'm not going to lie to you— it's nice. Nice to know someone cares so much.(LMAO I WROTE THIS LIKE A MONTH AGO)
     I looked up at the ceiling, thinking of all the possibilities and outcomes of going to see El. She could be mad at me for trying to kill myself; she could be disappointed in me for trying to kill myself; she could think that it's her fault that I tried to kill myself. And the worst of all— she could've forgotten about me and not give a fuck that I'm there. I don't know if I'll be ok if that happens. I really don't.

I hope you enjoyed that chapter, sorry it's out bit later than usual. Family, am I right?

Yes, the song is pretty random.

Feel free to message me anytime. Love you allll <33

word count: 1288

-eight