Chapter 16: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Chapter 16: Heat burns through my body as I see the Dauntless woman standing tall in front of me and Tobias. Even though me and Tobias are only inches apart, I feel so far away from him. I want to reach out and pull him close to me. I want him to keep me safe.

"Tobias Eaton?" The Dauntless woman moves her flashlight towards Tobias so it only shines on him.

How does she know who Tobias is? Have they met before? Who is this woman?

"Yes, Lynn. It's me," Tobias raises himself to his feet.

I stay sitting on my knees. I don't want to attempt to stand if this Lynn woman does not advise me to. After all, she has a gun in her hand and she probably wouldn't mind putting a bullet through my head if she got the chance.

Tobias steps in my direction and holds his hand out to me.

Lynn's gun points in my direction now."What's your name stiff?" she asks. Her voice sounds demanding and her short hair, tattoos and numerous piercings on her face don't make her anymore comforting than she already is.

Beatrice Prior," I tell her. I'm trying not to fidget, but I can't help myself. I am terrified.

"So, looks like a little Abnegation girl ran away from home," she taunts. "Did you get in a little fight with mommy and daddy? Do you give food to the Factionless everyday and think your doing them a favor? I bet mommy and daddy are so worried about you. Don't venture off into the Dauntless territory unless you can handle it."

"Don't interrogate her. She's with me." Tobias says. "And as a matter of fact she is brave."

I look down at my ordinary grey clothing and picture my plain face with boring blonde hair. I am nothing special. Why does a boy like Tobias want anything to do with me? I am

not beautiful. I am not pretty.

"Why are you here Tobias?" Lynn asks. She rubs her temple with the gun.

"We had to leave. Abnegation is not where we belong and my father..." he stops himself.

Lynn nods her head once he said 'my father' and I wonder what Marcus had done to him in the past that Lynn would know about.

I decide to start asking the questions, "How do you two know each other?" I stand up without the help of Tobias.

"Tobias is always welcome in the Dauntless Compound. Even if he's still a stiff," she laughs. "He comes here sometimes to get away from the selfless stiffs."

"Lynn, could you somehow help us escape Abnegation and become Dauntless?" Tobias asks. He steps toward her.

Lynn gulps and sticks her gun inside of her pocket, "Well, considering I am the Dauntless leader and I call the shots..." she rubs her finger underneath her chin as if she is thinking about what she's going to do. "I suppose you can."

A smile escapes my lips, "Thank you."

"I did not say you could stay. I only said Tobias could," Lynn smirks cynically.

"Beatrice is my girlfriend. I am not going to be Dauntless if you do not let her in. I would rather join the Factionless," he tells her.

"Really? The Factionless for this stiff?" she asks in disbelief.

"Yes," he says nonchalantly.

"You can stay with us. But of you get out of line then I will banish you and you can either go back to your problem home in Abnegation or become Factionless. Got it stiff?" She asks me. Her eyebrows are arched and her jet black eyes are piercing through my body as she glares at me.

"Yes," I say. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that Lynn is not someone to cross with.

•••

The tall gate and brick walls with barbed wire and electric fences wrapped around the Dauntless Complex intimidate me. I feel the butterflies swarm in my stomach. The feel of Tobias' hand in mine relaxes me.

Once Lynn is a fair distance in front of us Tobias says, "They'll get us each a separate room. You can stay with me tonight."

I look down at the dirt on my grey shoes, "Was this wise to leave?"

"It wasn't safe in Abnegation anymore. Besides, you're..." he stops himself before he says divergent. "Do not tell anyone about what you are. What we are."

What does it mean to be divergent? Are we a threat?

"How are we different from the rest of the factions?" I ask Tobias.

"I can't," Tobias says as he looks straight ahead.

"You-you can't?" I stutter. "Tobias, I ran away with you. I put myself in danger for you. I left my family and you can't tell me?"

He stops and places his hand on my shoulder. "It's for your own protection. We are not safe and the more you have a clear mind about what we are, the better. Our minds are not safe Beatrice," he explains.

But, I am not convinced. So, I let my

curiosity take over, "How are our minds not safe?"

"If we leave the Dauntless and we run into the Candor they will use the truth serum on us," his voice is shaking now.

"But, won't you be in danger if they put the serum on you? You have tons of information about us," I argue. I do not want Tobias to only think about my safety when his is in danger as well.

"Don't worry about me Beatrice," his voice is stronger now.

He pulls me close to him and we continue walking. The Dauntless doors are only a couple steps away.

"Of course I am going to worry about you. I want you to be safe as well," I tell him.

He kisses me on the temple before we enter the compound.

Lynn pushes the doors open, "Welcome to Dauntless."