Chapter 5: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Chapter 5: I head downstairs for breakfast. Caleb is already dressed and he has a bowl of cereal with milk and is chugging down his water. "Slow down Caleb." My father says. "Sorry." Caleb apologizes. I sit beside Caleb and face towards him. "You nervous?" I whisper so only Caleb can hear me. He shakes his head, "Not at all." He shoves his face back into his cereal bowl and I shake me head wondering why Caleb is acting so bizarre lately. I pour myself a bowl of cereal and pour myself a glass of milk to accompany it. I hope Caleb isn't having second thoughts about Abnegation.

My mother and father are standing in a closed off section of the choosing room. It's a huge auditorium and in the middle of the stage is a podium, and bowls containing the factions. I notice Tobias standing beside my mother and father. They are talking quietly amongst themselves. Tobias catches me staring at him so, I immediately look away. I watch each person one by one go up to the stage and draw a bit of blood from their arm with a knife and drop their blood into the bowl that contains the faction they desire. A Candor girl goes up and drops blood into dauntless. I wonder how her parents may feel about her leaving them. Maybe they don't care. I know my parents would never forgive me. "Caleb Prior." Marcus announces. I watch as my brother walks up to the stage and winces as he draws the blood from his arm. He stands in front of Abnegation but is eyeing the Erudite bowl. I hope he doesn't choose Erudite. I don't know if I'll ever forgive him. He steps back a couple of steps and moves to his left where the Erudite bowl sits. Without anymore hesitation, he drops blood into the Erudite bowl. I hear a couple gasps run throughout the room including Marcus. I look over at Tobias who stands like a statue, his face is hard and his body is pale. My mother looks down at the floor and my father's face is buried in his hands. Before I know it, Marcus Eaton calls my name, "Beatrice Prior."