Chapter 12: Tris and Four -Abnegation Love

Chapter 12: I follow Evelyn down the stairs and I caution myself to keep a well distance apart from Tobias to cause less suspicion. I can tell that Evelyn is curious about our relationship. I'm not too sure why it would be a terrible idea for Tobias and I to have a much more relationship than friends. Maybe it's because of our two year age difference. Although, I always believed that my parents thought quite fondly of Tobias. Though, I could always be wrong.

I study Tobias' clothing again and gaze at the black jeans that press against his skin and his loose, black, t shirt that suppresses his muscles in the perfect tone.

"Oh, there you two are! It's time for supper." My mother announces. I make my way towards the table in three swift glides.

I look down at my already set plate in my spot at the dinner table. It has the normal food that we usually eat. On my plate is some meatloaf and vegetables. Its Usual Abnegation food.

I glance over at Tobias and see a look of distaste spread across his face. I'm not too fond of our food choices in Abnegation, but I didn't stay for the food. I stayed because I believe that this is where I belong and where I can make a difference.

I feel a hand intertwine with mine and my heart stops when I realize that it's Tobias'. I almost bat it away because I'm not sure why he'd want to give us away too easily in front of my parents until I realize that we are saying grace. I slip my hand into his and then slip my other hand into my fathers.

"Dear heavenly father, thank you for providing us with this wonderful meal that my wife has prepared for us this evening. I pray that Abnegation is well and that our son, Caleb has chosen wisely." My heart drops to my stomach at the sound of Caleb's name. I miss my brother dearly and I'm not sure when i will see next.

The clatter of forks scratching the surface of the plates and the chewing of our food helped with drowning the silence in the room. Occasionally, I'd attempt to start a conversation, but it didn't seem like everyone was up for talking.

I watched Tobias as he chewed his food casually and clenched his fists when he burned the roof of his mouth with the steamed vegetables. I let out a short laugh which caused Tobias to smile too. My parents gave me a stern look and I quickly changed my face to a more serious tone.

"Anything interesting and new going on Tobias?" My mother's always known for starting casual talk.

"Actually yes." Tobias says plain and short. He's egging my mother on. He's not going to just come out and say it.

"Which would be?" My mother asked curiously.

"I'm actually going to be traveling to each faction in a couple of days." he says. This takes me by surprise and I wonder why he hadn't told me about this.

"For what?" My mother asked.

Tobias gave a stern and serious look, "I'm afraid if I told you, then I'd have to shoot you."

I almost choked on my meatloaf and I looked up to see the expressions on everyone's faces. My mother and father exchanged looks with Evelyn and Marcus and I quickly glanced at Tobias. He gave me a careless wink and began to laugh to ease the tension.

"I'm joking." He said and charmingly smiled.

My mother and father cautiously laughed to themselves, but Marcus and Evelyn stayed straight faced.

"When were you planning on telling us about this little journey of yours Tobias?" Marcus asked sternly.

"Just now actually." Tobias confidently said. I don't know why he's trying to cause trouble with his parents.

"Thank you for dinner. We must be heading home now." Evelyn said as she stood and wiped the crumbs from her pants.

As Marcus and Evelyn began walking towards the door, I noticed Tobias remained seated. His parents quickly took notice, "Tobias. I said lets go." Marcus demanded and Tobias clenched his hands.

He began to rise, but before he walked out the door, he did something unthinkable. He did something that even I would not have the guts and heart to do in front of both of our parents.

He leaned down and planted a kiss upon my lips.