Chapter 3: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Chapter 3: My mother and father usually go to bed fairly early each night which is a plus. I make note of approximately how long it will take me to reach my destination. I come up with about 15 minutes if I take the passageway through the alley on 4th street, right past the bus stop. It's already 11:45, so I tie up my hair in a bun, put on a grey t-shirt and grey pants. Sometimes I wonder how I'd look with actual colors on. I wonder how I'd look if I were amity. I'd wear yellow and red dresses and prance around all day playing patty cake. I might actually have had a group of friends. What if I were dauntless and got to dress in black each day. I don't think I'd like that very much. I don't consider that a respective color. Although, it's a lot better than the grey that I wear. But, I defiently won't make my faction choice based on the different colors the other factions get to wear, that would be silly. It's all about choices and how you want to turn out. I know Abnegation fits me perfectly. I could never imagine fitting anywhere else. I enjoy feeding and clothing the Factionless and I will enjoy it for the rest of my life.

As I creep out of my room, I make sure that I do not make any unnecessary noises that will get me caught for sneaking out so late. I know it's horrible that I am disobeying my parents rules but, inside, I feel like Tobias is trying to tell me something really important and I can't stand him up. That would be an act of selfishness. I am not selfish. I am selfless.

I'm just about to reach the last step, when I almost tumble down the stairs. A yelp escapes my mouth and I clamp my hands over my mouth to keep from screaming. Now, I notice that the lights are on and my brother is sitting at the table. He turns around flustered and then calms down when he notices that it's only me. "Beatrice, what are you doing awake?" He asks. "Just needed to get some fresh air, that's all." I say calmly. I brush myself off and scurry to my feet. He doesn't question me so, I walk outside and begin walking down the sidewalk.

I pass the bus stop and turn the corner down the dark alley. Maybe this wasn't such a good short cut after all. You never know whose out this late. I see a figure standing against the wall and happily notice that it is Tobias. I walk faster to the end of the street and he looks up and sees me. He stands up straight and brushes his fingers through his hair. "Hi Beatrice." He says cooly. My heart begins to race and my palms begin to sweat. Keep calm Beatrice, I think. "Hey." I say. "I'm sorry to worry you. I didn't mean to sound so..." He pauses. "Mysterious?" I finish for him. He nods and then looks up at the stars. "How do you know I'm Divergent? What even is Divergent?" I ask. His Adams apple bobs as he gulps. I can tell he's nervous but, not for the same reasons that I am. "I just know okay? And I'm not sure I can trust you yet." He says. Trust me? "I've known you my whole life. And you don't trust me?" I ask defensively. "You don't understand. Divergence is extremely dangerous." He says warily. "Yes I know. Tori told me." His face hardens. "You know Tori?" He asks. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. I don't know If i can trust Tobias either. "Yeah, she was there when I was seeing which faction I belonged in." I say. He looks down at the ground and he closes his eyes shut. "I'd better be going." He says. That's all? He didn't answer any of my questions, he only stated the obvious. "Please. You need to help me. What does this mean? Should I stay in Abnegation if I'm divergent?" My voice cracks a little. Maybe I'm not cut out for Abnegation. He turns to me and places his hand into mine. My hand stiffens and my throat begins to close again. "Stay in Abnegation." He says. His eyes look lost and he doesn't look as nervous anymore. I nod. And then, he is gone.