Chapter 6: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Chapter 6: I remain still and I have to remind myself to breathe. Caleb left us. Left my parents. Left Tobias. Left me.

"Beatrice Prior!" Marcus belts my name through the microphone. I can tell he is starting to get annoyed.

One foot in front of the other Beatrice. Right. Left. Right. Left. Don't forget to breathe. Right. Left. Breathe. I finally reach the steps leading up to the stage. I walk carefully up each step to make sure that I do not trip over any of the steps. My mind is racing and I can't seem to make out where I am. I know I'm still at the choosing ceremony but, everything is blurry. I feel hot liquid fall onto my cheek and I realize that I'm crying. I wipe the tear away and walk up to Marcus who holds the knife out to me. The knife slicing through my skin is painless. Maybe it's because I can feel nothing right now. My emotions are running wild and my hands are beginning to feel clammy.

Just drop blood into Abnegation. Then you can leave. You can mourn with your family over your brother. Maybe, I should leave abnegation too. I mean, Caleb is very smart and he knows what's best. Maybe, it's not right for me to stay. But, where would I go?

I picture the Dauntless children and teenagers jumping from the train each morning. They seem brave. They seem strong. Before I know it, I'm standing above the Dauntless bowl. I look up and search the crowd for anything. Anything. A sign maybe. Some guidance. And there he stands. Tobias. His eyes are struck with shock and he's shaking his head ever so slightly. I remember he told me to stay in Abnegation. He told me it would be the safest place to maintain my Divergence. I back away from the Dauntless bowl and head into the direction of Abnegation.

With two swift movements from bowl to bowl, I drop my blood into Abnegation.