Chapter 2: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Chapter 2: The rest of dinner is particularly awkward. Every couple minutes, I notice Tobias eyeing me warily. I wonder if he knows about my Divergence. Is it really that obvious that I can't even contain my secrets. What if he tells Marcus and Marcus tells me I can't be Abnegation. What if I have to live Factionless? My

mother always told me that if you were ever Factionless, that it would be better that you were dead. Stop, I think. I can't get so worked up. It's probably nothing. Once dinner is finished. I offer to clean up the dishes and Caleb offers to retrieve Marcus and Evelyn's coats that they hung on our coatrack before they came in. Tobias doesn't move from his seat, he is still staring at me and once my mother and father are outside, now escorting Marcus and Evelyn home, I speak, "What is the matter with you?" I know that it is wrong for me to use such a foul tone with Tobias. It's not very Abnegation of me but, Tobias is acting weird lately and I am determined to find out why. He stands up and walks toward me. He is now inches from my face. I notice his eyebrows create a crease in the middle. His concentration on me is sort of worrying me. He looks around just before he speaks. "You're Divergent. Arn't you?" My hands clench into fists and my throat begins to tighten. I can feel my face beginning to heat up and I hope that my cheeks aren't too red. I decide to play dumb, "What's Divergent?" He rolls his eyes, "Don't play stupid," He says. "I suspected it when you didn't answer your mother right away. I could tell you were hiding something and it reminded me of when I-." He cuts himself off and shakes his head. He says one last thing before he leaves. "I have to tell you something. And I'm not sure here is the safest place so, meet me tonight right outside where the Factionless are." I'm so confused but all I can do is nod my head. I don't think Tobias is threatening me. Maybe he's trying to help me. "What specific time?" I ask. He gulps, "Midnight would suffice." He says shortly. He brushes his hand against my cheek and I tense up a bit. He notices me being uncomfortable and he quickly pulls his hand away. He is not acting very abnegation and I'm not sure what the hand gesture meant. "I'll see you soon." Is all he says before he races out the door.

I lay in bed still thinking about Tobias and how he touched my cheek. I've never felt this way before for anyone. It's an odd feeling but, I like it. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall, or turn into liquid, or burst into flames. I think I may have feelings for Tobias Eaton.