Chapter 9: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Chapter 9: I'm glad I decided to walk home instead of taking the bus with my parents. I think my mother understands that I need some time to think about the decision I've made. I can't bare to listen to the silent exchanges between my mother and father as they contemplate on what went wrong with Caleb. Maybe nothing is wrong with him. Maybe we are wrong. I guess we'll never know. But, all I'm sure of is that our decisions create the pathways that lead us to our future and when we make mistakes, good things replace the bad. Something good will replace Caleb's decision. I've learned from my father that everything happens for a reason. We have to keep moving forward and realize that tomorrow is a new day and new days mark new beginnings and new chapters in our lives.

"Beatrice! Wait up!" Tobias enters my thoughts and I turn to see him jogging my way. My breathe begins to stagger and I pull my hand to my heart to feel it beating faster. Calm down Beatrice, I think. I take a deep breathe and yell back, "Hey Tobias!" Once he reaches me my stomach begins to cramp and I feel as if butterfly's are flying through my abdomen. I gulp and smile, "What's up?" I ask. "I just wanted to make sure that Uriah kid wasn't bothering you today. You know how Dauntless boys are..." He's actually caring for me and my well being. Was he jealous when I was talking to Uriah? "Abnegation boy now." I laugh but he doesn't seem to think my joke was funny. His face hardens, "And no he wasn't bothering me." I reassure. He gulps and I can tell he's embarrassed by his accusation. "Ok. Good." He laughs. "I'll see you tonight then?" I ask hopefully. He nods, "Yes." I'm expecting him to walk away but he just stands there with a confused look on his face. "Is there something wrong Tobias?" I ask. He blinks a couple of times and shakes his head, "It's just that..." He pauses. "Tell me." I insist. He laughs awkwardly and whispers, "I have a weird urge to kiss you." My heart drops and I gulp. People in abnegation rarely kiss. It's an odd gesture and I've never kissed anyone before. "I know that abnegation don't usually kiss but, I just... I don't know. I was being stupid, I'm sorry." He's talking fast now which makes me giggle. "You're not being stupid." I whisper. He goes quiet and touches my face. He leans in close and brushes my lips with his. I can feel a grin suppress onto his lips and he doesn't pull back. He takes my face in his hands, his fingers strong against my pale skin, and kisses me firmer. I wrap both of my arms around him and wrap my fingers in his short hairs so they knot with them. For a few minutes we kiss in the streets of abnegation in our grey clothes. I can't help but wonder if we had both chosen differently, we would probably end up doing the same thing, in a much more dangerous place, in possibly black, blue, red, or white clothes instead of grey.