7a: Thanks For The Support

Danielle

Growing up as an only child has proven three things that I think are very important. One, you'll end up chunky and a size twelve. I blame my mother completely. Two, you get everything you want, except a true friend.

Going into middle school, I had a few friends that I talked to and we got along, but I was never spending the night at their house, and I was never invited to any birthday parties. I blame my mother on that one too, she said books could become my best friend. I was the only girl on my co-ed soccer team from fourth grade till eighth for crying out loud. I needed at least one female friend.

So when I walked into the sixth grade orchestra room and saw a brunette sitting alone in the chair in front of me and she was reading, I decided that whatever happens. I would make her my friend, and she read, so I knew we would be good friends.

Sammantha is still a book worm, but she's not as shy as she used to be. I've rubbed off on her over the years, as well as Calvin and Teddy have too, but I will never give them any credit.

And three, after being in daycare for eight years, I know a bitch when I see one. Stealing snack, the ones that like to smack, and the ones that like to throw things. I still get nightmares about that dreaded place, but they had good waffles for breakfast, I loved those.

Anyway, I hate people that think they can do anything they want. Which is why I'm currently in another argument with Sicily. "They didn't want another brat like you. Ya'll are so annoying." She yelled at me.

Apparently the world has gotten so corrupt, I should have gone to private school or somewhere else where every other person isn't a secret psychopath or mental case. So I continued to look at her. I'm not going to pity this. She's been last chair for years, for a reason.

Mr. BLT had walked out of the room for the moment and Sam had her hand over her eyes. Ash and Bryce were watching us intently.

"I don't understand what the problem is."

"You're so annoying. I bet Sam doesn't even like you." She looked at Sam.

"My name is Sammantha." She responded, slightly glaring at her.

"Ya'll are f'n nuts." She turned and went across the room. I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair. 

"And I'm sick of your attitude." She turned about instantly and glared at me. "You have a sucky personality and you can't play the violin, you're only in here because you're pitted and because you paid the entry fee." I spat.

She walked toward me, and we ended up being a foot apart. She had her hands on her hips.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw that it was switching time, and the choir kids should be coming down anytime now.

It's like a Mexican standoff, except I don't have a weapon to defend myself. But she might... I mean yesterday she did have a butter knife. 

If I had to die, I would not want to be stabbed. Hello boring. Something exotic.

"You got something to say?" She sneered. I mean, if she swung first, I would probably jump into fetal position or depending on how strong she is, punch her in the nose. I can do it on the wii.

I just sat there and glared at her. She rolled her eyes and walked toward the orchestra locker room.

I took a deep breathe and turned to Sam. "You're going to get your ass kicked one day Danni," she said.

"Who's kicking Danni's ass?" Calvin asked, walking into the room. Cole and Teddy were right behind him.

"Sicily."

"I'll make the popcorn." Teddy added.

"Thanks for the support." I said sarcastically.

"I think Danni could take her." We all turned our heads toward Cole.

"See. Screw all of you." I pointed at Cole. "He's nice. Unlike you peeps."

"Well if you're not going to beat up Sicily, can you beat up Calvin? I would pay money to see that." Teddy said. Calvin wacked him. "Ow." We all knew that Teddy could take Calvin, he almost did beat up Calvin in the seventh grade.

I smirked, "Anytime."

"And I," Sam gestured to herself, "Will make the popcorn."

~~~~~

When I got home, my dad was already there. Which is very weird. When you work 8am-6pm, you expect him home after 6. Plus I was slowly eating a tub of frosting from our pantry and I really was annoyed that I couldn't eat any since he was home.

I checked my watch, it's 3:05. "Dad?" I asked as I opened our back door. If he was home, then he could have picked me up and not have had Hailey drive me. That would have saved me ten minutes of pain and torture.

"In the dinning room." He responded.

He wasn't wearing his tie and he was seated at the table on the phone. I put my bag next to the piano and sat on the bench waiting for him to be done. When I was little this is how it always was, I had to sit quietly on my piano bench and wait for him to be done talking in the phone while he balanced the checkbooks. But there was nothing in front of him.

"Yes. Danielle and I are on our way. Mhmm. She just got home. See you soon," He hung up and turned to me.

"What's up?" I ask. My curiosity is beating me.

He sighed, "Grandma Martie died this afternoon around 1:30."

I took a sharp breathe, "Grandma?" I asked. My great-grandma has Alzheimer's but she was doing good, when I saw her over the weekend.

"Yeah, I know Danni." He got up and walked toward me. "We're going to Grandma's. She needs us."

"Uh huh." I choked. They had told us that she was improving.

"Drop your bag. Let's go Danni." The car ride across town was more silent than usual.

Usually a Taylor Swift song comes on and he tries to sing it or we laugh about the other drivers, or he gets a call that's about work. We also usually stop and get dollar drinks at McDonald's.

That's how off it is. When he pulled into my grandma's driveway I wasn't expecting this. I recognized other cars that were parked on the street, she must have told them we were coming because the driveway was open. My dad's brothers weren't here yet, I bet that annoyed my dad.

My dad opened their back door and there my grandma was, crying on the couch. I have never seen anything like this in my life. Other aunts and uncles sat throughout the main level of their house. Their dog, Riley came over to me immediately, the poor dog doesn't know what's going on but here she is so excited that there are so many people over at the house.

"Hey Danni." My grandpa greeted as we walked in.

"Hey gramps." I headed into the living room where my grandma and her siblings were.

"Danielle." I walked over to my grandma and she pulled me into a hug. I could feel her tears on my tshirt.

"I'm so sorry Gram." I hate seeing people cry, especially my grandma. She never cries. Which makes me cry.

"Me too."

And today is one of those days that makes me rethink my life choices, and I put away my bitchy attitude. They say that money is one of the biggest adversities of life, but in this case, my adversity is death, and I don't see it going away any time soon.