Ten

Raymond

"Is it true? Is she awake?" I said going up to the nurse station where Miss Wells stood.

"Yess" I was literally knocked out in the bed when Nevaeh came and woke me up. We all rushed here, but I hopped out the car when we pulled up.

"Bookie! Finally" she said when we walked in the room. I immediately walked to her bedside and hugged her. "Don't cry Raymond" she said. I ignored her sniffling.

"I thought I lost you pookie"

"You can't get rid of me that easily" she mumbled.

"I love you okay. I love you so much" I said kissing her forehead.

"I love you too" she said right when everyone walked in.

"Let her go. Lemme hug my baby" her mom said. I let her go backing away watching everyone interact with her.

After a while, when tears and cheers were done, the doctor and Miss Wells came in.

"Hello Register family. How are y'all doing?" the doctor asked.

"We are good now"

"That's good. Her labs look good. We did a neuro exam when she first woke up, and everything checked out. Obviously she is able to talk and comprehend. Do you remember how you got here Heaven?" he asked causing us all to look at her.

"Yeah.. I was in a car i'm guessing with Raymond and something happened.. I guess we got in a wreck" she said causing my heart to drop. She doesn't remember. Miss Wells looked at us speaking through her eyes basically asking for conformation. I shook my head 'no'.

"What about before? What do yo remember?" Nevaeh asked.

"I remember you coming home. I remember.." she closed her eyes trying to remember.

"It's okay. I'll order a head CT. This could very much be retrograde amnesia which in most cases is temporary. However, I want to be sure"

"Okay" Heaven said looking down. She looked so confused and it hurt me. Her parents followed the doctor out the room, and Nevaeh, Alexis and I took to Heaven's side.

"That's all I remember. What happened between that Vaeh?"

"Zion. You remember him?" Alexis asked.

"Whoo?"

"Zion. Kaitlyn's cousin. He came up to you after school one day. Y'all was talking for a hot second. Y'all been facetiming and all that shit, but he asked you to homecoming in front of everybody in the parking lot before school. You rode with him homecoming night two weeks ago and you got in a wreck" I told her. "Ring a bell?" I asked.

"Now, why the hell would I be talking to Kaitlyn's cousin"

"Sis... You was boo'd up on the phone late nights and waiting for him before andd after school" Vaeh said.

"Why don't I remember?" she said more to herself than us.

"Look" I took down the railing to the bed and slid in bed next to her without messing up wires. "You good and all that matters is that you okay" she laid her head on me.

"How long will I be wrapped up?"

"Well, your leg was broken and your arm was shattered sooo. I'm not sure" Vaeh said sliding in on the other side. Alexis sat at the end of the bed resting her head on the foot rail. She nodded and we were quiet while we watched Spongebob since it was on the tv.

Heaven

I laid still on the bed looking around at the machine. I played with my fingers before it began scanning. I can't believe that I had been in a coma after getting in a wreck. This is the second wreck of my lifetime and it's scary. I'm missing a part of my memory and I'm hoping that it is literally temporary.

Seeing how happy my parents are that I'm awake.. I need this to be temporary. Zion is suppose to come to the house if I get discharged today. My doctor said that if my head ct is clear, I can go home. I just have to come back in a week for repeat scans and x-rays on my leg and arm.

"You're going to be fine" my nurse said. Apparently she has been on my case for the whole two weeks. She spent the all night telling me how Raymond barely left my side. She also told me that Zion would sneak in to see me when Raymond wasn't there. She really tells me everything and never leaves anything out.

"They are about to start scanning now. Try not to move your head" she said. I laid still, closing my eyes, and began thinking about all that can come out of this situation. I am going to be more adventurous for sure. My life could have just ended all so quickly.

I guess I have to give this Zion dude a chance since I was vibing with him. Hopefully, I gain some memory of him soon because they keep talking about him. I really wanna go on a road trip with Raymond. I wanna take Kareem and Kyndall to the trampoline park.

"Alright Heaven. We are all done"

"Were they good?" I asked as Ms. Wells helped me onto the gurney.

"We'll chat it up with your parents"

"They were bad weren't they?" I asked.

"No. They were clear, but I know if I didn't say anything, you would have panicked. The hyperventilation would have started and I dont want you to be in this hospital another minute. Two weeks is more than enough time" she said beginning to push me. "You have a very supportive family. They love you more than anything in this world. I know that. There was always somebody by your side"

"It's like I have a puzzle in my head and I'm trying to figure it out. I'm trying to put the puzzle together. I vaguely remember Zion. The image is starting to appear. I have the corner pieces and I need to figure out the middle... if that makes sense" I mumbled at the end. I felt like I was rambling and I don't wanna seem crazy.

"Listen babygirl. You made a miraculous recovery and you have a long ways to go. You probably have to meet with a neurologist in about two weeks to make sure everything is okay. You will have to meet with your orthopedic doctor to manage these injuries. You also have to go through alot of physical therapy, but you made it. Don't worry about the puzzle. The puzzle will be put together during your free time. Don't stress trying to put it together though. Okay?"

"Yes ma'am" she pushed me in comfortable silence before I spoke again. "Thank you for being my nurse. You are the nicest lady ever"

"I take pride in making my patients feel comfortable while they are getting their treatment here"