~13~

We took her to third class where a wild party was happening. Instruments and music was being played. Beer. Smoking. Dancing. A whole lot of laughter and smiles all around. Fabrizio dances with Helga while my brother dances with me and Cora.

A short while later he dances with Rose. She looks really happy with my brother than in first class with her mother and Cal. We all got to see a first class girl dance with us and drink a beer. If it wasn't for her clothes and her status,she would fit right in with the rest of us in third class.

Rose once told me what her mother said to her"This is not a game. Our situation is precarious. You know the money's gone" Rose knew the money was gone because her mother reminded her about it every day. All Ruth cared about was money"Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name. That name is the only card we have to play" Rose's mother did not understand her.

"It is a fine match with Hockley and it will ensure our survival. Do you want to see me working as a seamstress? Is that what you want? To see our fine things sold at auction? Our memories scattered? Of course it's unfair. We're women,our choices are never easy"