Amari

I had seen a picture of Rhyne. There was a picture of Parker, Rhyne and Jackson...er Dr King who I met earlier. They were 3 extremely attractive men. Rhyne was having a party Parker insisted he deal with himself. They were best friends he had told me and Rhyne was recently married to Jackson daughter.

What a crazy triangle that must have been I thought as I enjoyed my salad and hummus. The two friends seemed so different. Parker was straight and narrow, but the glimmer behind Rhyne's eyes told me he was rebellious and wild. I was sure Parker let loose in his own ways. Parker had said they kept each other sane as well as accountable. That's why the three of them were each successful in their own right.

I envied that type of friendship. I didn't have close girlfriends. And my guy friends I never saw because it made Jake uncomfortable. Jake had liked it being just him and I.

I pondered Jake as I ate. There was this amazing opportunity in front of me with Parker's business. Was being with Jake worth giving any of that up? The longer I pondered the less I could remember about why I was with him to begin with.

As if his ears were ringing a text came through, Jake's name flashing across my iPhone.

J: laundry wasn't done. Came home to a messy house ???

A: car trouble sorry be home later tonight got news.

J: boys are coming by for drinks and poker. Can you maybe find something to do until late?

I slammed my phone down exasperated at him. I ignored the last text. Maybe I should just go home, grab my stuff and figure out what to tell Jake later.

"You ok" Parker's voice floated in, startling me. I looked up at the face attached to the voice. And shook my head slightly.

"Yah I'm good." I changed the subject, "meeting with Rhyne go ok? I have all the paperwork for him to sign, ready for the party"

Parker frowned but took the hint and didn't press for any information. He could probably guess where my anger and sadness was coming from. "That's great Amari. Thank you. Uh...I'm ready for those calls whenever."

I nodded my head and Parker closed the door between us. I cleaned up my lunch boxes and went back to work, arranging the calls for Parker.

Time seemed to fly by at work after I put Jake out of my mind. Before I knew it the day was over and I was knocking on Parker's office door.

He was already standing on the other side waiting for me.

"All set for the day?" He asked "I'll take you to your apartment so you can pick up anything you'd like, if you want."

"Yes, that'd be great, thank you Parker. You've been more than amazing" he blushed lightly at my compliment.

We walked down together and got into his car. The quiet stretched between us. My anxiety was back. I was hoping everything with Jake would just be over with already. I decided I would tell him about the condo and the move and then if he said anything against them I knew I would choose work. But I guess if I was being honest, Parker. Though nothing had happened between us he reminded me that people who truly cared wouldn't treat you with disrespect.

I gave him the directions and he pulled onto the road setting course for my and Jake's apartment.

"So Amari, Rhyne wanted to make sure I invited you to the memorial party. It's a casual backyard thing, well casual for him." He laughed at that before continuing, "Swimming, food, drinks. If you're interested, that is."

I thought it over, wondering if I should see if Jake could come but thought better of it because in truth I had no idea where we were in this relationship. He didn't handle his alcohol well either.

"You know what Parker I'd love to go as a guest. Thank you for inviting me." I gave him a big smile and he beamed back.

He was funny and goofy when we were alone, no hint of that intimidating boss I had seen pictures of. My dream came floating back to the surface. I glanced at him as he drove. He was sexy, no doubt but I was blown away by his giving nature.

We arrived at my apartment before I knew it and I told Parker to wait in the car. My interactions with Jake that Parker had witnessed had set a hard edge to him as we pulled up. I didn't want any trouble.

I saw Jakes truck parked in our spot and I hoped his friends weren't here yet. I wanted to ask what he wanted from this and to tell him I was still willing to give it one last shot with the move. I felt that I owed him that. But one hint that he was unwilling to make a change and we were done. It had been too many fights and too much disrespect to remain the same.

I sprinted up the steps and unlocked the door. I needed to grab my hair stuff for sure and a couple odds and ends before going back to the condo.

I didn't see anyone But I heard muffled noises from the bedroom so I figured that's where Jake was probably watching a game until his friends showed.

The muffled sounds turned to muffled moans as I approached the door to the room we shared. My stomach dropped. I didn't need to see to know what was happening behind my bedroom doors. But I needed to see with my own eyes what I already knew. I pursed my lips and threw open the door.

Jake jumped quickly, covered waist down with a sheet. Obviously naked and obviously not alone. Some blonde bimbo sitting next to him clutching the sheets to her busty chest.

"What the fuck Amari! I thought you said you'd be home later!" He yelled at me.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me Jake?! You're a slime ball and fucking coward. And so is your little home wrecker!"

As I stared horrified at the scene before me, I felt a presence behind me and turned to see Parker. Of course he didn't stay in the car. His face was red and his fists were balled tight.

I turned and placed my hands on his chest. Begging silently for us to go. My tears were already streaming.

"Fuck you bitch!" He screamed from the bed. "Look who brought her own fuckboy, slut-!"

There was nothing I could do to stop what happened next. Parker moved out of my grip took a couple long strides before he pulled back letting his fist connect with Jakes stomach.

The blonde screamed as she watched Jake crumple into himself on the bed next her.

Parker said nothing as he turned back to me and roughly took my hand leading me out of my apartment. He was tense all over. His muscles coiled as if he was ready to strike again. He threw open my car door and I got in robotically before he slammed the door hard. He was next to me quickly his hand in mine again. And we were off and onto the highway and speeding back to the condos quickly.

I guess their was nothing to figure out at this point. I was over Jake before I even made it out the front door. My heart hurt because cheating was a cowards way.

My only focus was moving forward and Parker. I had brought unnecessary drama into his life and he could let me go here and now if he wanted to. I'd be homeless but I would understand completely.

We drove to the condo in silence except my soft cries. I didn't cry for anything but the wasted time I had spent with a man like that. Parker said nothing and never relaxed. His anger was still there bubbling just below the surface. But despite that he held my hand gently rubbing his thumb over mine.

He walked me to my door and unlocked it bringing me in with him. He left me on the couch before he disappeared briefly returning with a full bottle of tequila, two shot glasses, salt and lime.